Cerakote vs. Duracoat - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Cerakote vs. Duracoat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used DuraCoat a LOT on different firearms and I'm happy with each and every one.

As long as you are patient, follow instructions, and do the required prep.....you are GTG and will be happy with it.

Oh, and even a caveman can do it.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #22

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I've used DuraCoat a LOT on different firearms and I'm happy with each and every one.

As long as you are patient, follow instructions, and do the required prep.....you are GTG and will be happy with it.

Oh, and even a caveman can do it.

I agree with this and it is easy to touch up if needed. I had a small spot that I scratched on my CZ82 (my fault) and it touched up great.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I beg to differ.. Home - Oakridge Custom Finishing, LLC One company (tradesman) who offers Duracoating.. I'd like you to pay special attention to the "projects" portion of this mans website. His shop is local to my area. I would caution you not relegate any gun refinishing processes to either the "Do it Yourselfers" or tradsmen. There are no gun finishes that I know of that cannot and are not being reproduced by the DIY's in their home shops.

Just because you run a shop or business, does not automatically mean you are consistant and/or reliable...
WOW! That GAU8 was awesome.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
WOW! That GAU8 was awesome.

Sure is.. It's on display at our Aviation Museum

Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #25
ccr

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I beg to differ.. Home - Oakridge Custom Finishing, LLC One company (tradesman) who offers Duracoating.. I'd like you to pay special attention to the "projects" portion of this mans website. His shop is local to my area. I would caution you not relegate any gun refinishing processes to either the "Do it Yourselfers" or tradsmen. There are no gun finishes that I know of that cannot and are not being reproduced by the DIY's in their home shops.

Just because you run a shop or business, does not automatically mean you are consistant and/or reliable...

True many Gunsmiths use DIY finishes such as Duracoat and Cerakote but not all. We offer our own proprietary coating that we have developed
I believe that Birdsongs Black T is another

There is no miracle hide all finish

No matter what finish you use the key to any refinishing job is the prep work that is done to the metal substrate first.

Cummings Custom Refinishing Quality Affordable Firearms Refinishing 423-639-8924
3351 Asheville Hwy Greeneville Tn 37743
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Old 04-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

CCR refinished my Sistema and I couldn't be happier. It was in poor shape and now it's a little jewel. To top it off, they are the nicest people to do business with.

Gratuitous gun pic:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr View Post
There is no miracle hide all finish

No matter what finish you use the key to any refinishing job is the prep work that is done to the metal substrate first.
I couldn't agree more..

Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I attended Duracoat University and will stand by this statement. Duracoat does not chip or peel if it is properly applied. Lots of guys think they have degreased a part and they haven't. One rivet or pin will hide a lot of oil that will prevent the Duracoat from adhereing properly. I had a devil of a time with the first shotgun I did. I have used Duracoat on many contact surfaces in actions and it wears very well. The new Duracoat Slick will also make your action very smooth. Most Ceracote is applied by professionals and lots of Duracoat is applied by DIY folks. I believe that is why Duracoat gets a bad rap. Ken

Old 07-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For reasons that only make sense to me, I decided to turn my G20 into a "golden" gun. I sent the slide to the Glock Store for gold Titanium Nitride coating ($180). I did the frame, etc. myself in Duracoat. I considered Cerakote, but they don't have a gold color available. Keep in mind if you're considering a Duracoat metallic, you must also apply Clearcoat(which is not included in the Shake and Spray Kit) over the finish. I found gold mag buttplates online and ordered a gold extended mag release from Glock. The buttplates are not only "pretty" but they're a vast improvement over the plastic stock item. The magazine snaps into place with a reassuring click rather than needing a bump from my left palm. Here's a pic of the frame and buttplate, I'm still waiting on the slide. Glockstore emailed me yesterday and said it will be about 2 weeks. Guess I'll hang on to this gun forever since I've probably made it completely unsaleable, but that's OK. I love the gun so much that I'd never get rid of it anyway. Yes, I realize I've made it unsuitable for combat (the glare, you know) but I'm 67 and have done all the combat nonsense that I'm likely to. It's strictly a home defense item and a little piece of mind if I'm hiking in bear country.

gg.jpg  

Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I bet you have spinner hubcaps.