Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Cerakote vs. Duracoat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had my Sistema done in CeraHide by CCR and it's outstanding. However I didn't recommend it because it costs more than the budget seems to allow for this project.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #12

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Cane, that is a beautiful gun. One day I am going to get a 3.5" 1911.
Thanks Darin. That's Canebrake, my Colt Defender, a 3" mouse gun.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #13

I believe another option in Durabake. This requires a baking process & I have read good things on the results.

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5622 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4713

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
I'd suggest "Cerahide" by CCR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I had my Sistema done in CeraHide by CCR and it's outstanding. However I didn't recommend it because it costs more than the budget seems to allow for this project.
CCR, is that the place in Memphis, TN? How was your experience with them? Did you ship directly to them? Do you think i could hand deliver to them? Tellmeboutitman

I have a cz75b with an ugly slide that needs some love.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 02-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

CCR is in Greenville, Tenn. Brad and Mary are extremely nice and are people of integrity.

The work is excellent and turn around time is pretty darn fast. The finish on my Sistema is much nicer than can be conveyed in photos.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If you want to sell your services here, you are most welcome to do so as a Vendor.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Reading some negatives concerning DuraCoat is kind of surprising to me.. Not that it's never happened but I've done several firearms in DuraCoat with absolutelly great results and durability has been high. Like anything though, gun prep is everything. Duracoat likes a rough surface for application. Some folks even prep the firearm by having the surface parkarized first then sprayed to have that extra bit of surface roughness for the paint to adhere.

Glass bead blasting is not recommended if you are intending to apply DuraCoat since the finish will be too smooth for the paint to adhere properly. Another factor in durability is in the mixing process. DuraCoat is a two part mix and must be done right for it to work well. I'm not saying all of these things were not done in CA's instance but I'm just saying that DuraCoat is a great product at least from my experience.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My impression from other research I've done is that Duracoat is a fairly straightforward DIY project (with results that match...) and Cerakote is something done by tradesmen in a shop (with more consistent and reliable results...).

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 03-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
My impression from other research I've done is that Duracoat is a fairly straightforward DIY project (with results that match...) and Cerakote is something done by tradesmen in a shop (with more consistent and reliable results...).
I beg to differ.. Home - Oakridge Custom Finishing, LLC One company (tradesman) who offers Duracoating.. I'd like you to pay special attention to the "projects" portion of this mans website. His shop is local to my area. I would caution you not relegate any gun refinishing processes to either the "Do it Yourselfers" or tradsmen. There are no gun finishes that I know of that cannot and are not being reproduced by the DIY's in their home shops.

Just because you run a shop or business, does not automatically mean you are consistant and/or reliable...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #20

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I know this has been discussed on every other forum out there, but I couldn't find it here and you guys I trust.

Does anyone have experience with one or the other or maybe both and would like to share good, bad or compare the two?

I read that Cerakote is tougher, but harder to apply.
cerakote, Phantom Finishing Concord, CA Home