Cerakote vs. Duracoat
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Cerakote vs. Duracoat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Cerakote vs. Duracoat

I know this has been discussed on every other forum out there, but I couldn't find it here and you guys I trust.

Does anyone have experience with one or the other or maybe both and would like to share good, bad or compare the two?

I read that Cerakote is tougher, but harder to apply.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a Model 36 Duracoated and it chipped off in a few places and wore off in others. It was applied by a friend of mine who is in the body and paint business. The gun had been bead blasted and some parts were glass blasted. It was prepped, cleaned and sprayed properly.

So I personally would not use Duracoat. I've never had a gun Ceracoated, so I can't help you there.

Are you planning on sending it out, and if so, what is your budget, if you don't mind me asking. I'm assuming this is for your project rifle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #3

Liked 2605 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2522

I've used Duracoat and I have used several of the colors some are not to durable. The Colt Grey seems to be the best. I have Dura coat black on my carry gun and it hasn't held up at all. My rifles don't get banged around like my pistols so it works well for them. I think I will try the Cerakote when I redo my carry gun. People seem to have better things to say about it.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

Have you considered parkerizing? Videos on youtube show people doing it on their BBQ grills.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

only things i would use duracoat on are investment cast things like ruger 10/22 recievers that cant be anodized or parkerized or blued. i wouldnt use it less there isnt anything else that will do what ya want.

my pink ruger 10/22 the reciever was duracoated pink over at gander mountain. the smith that did it said i should let it sit for 2 weeks to harden. i let it sit for 2 months before i assembled it. it scratches really easy. got a few finish dings just from reassembly. fortunately the stock hides the marks.

durability i give duracoat a 0 out of 10.

dunno anything about cerakote.

the tool grade nitride finishes are very good but require special tools to apply. remington's trinyte is one of those. but its not something you can do in your wife's oven.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #6

Thanks for the great info guys.

Don, to answer your question yes. I called a gunsmith here locally and he said he would re-blue my receiver and barrel for around $125 dependent on the prep work needed. I looked at Duracoat and they have a "blue" color and had never heard anything about CeraKote until Cane posted a link to their site. They have a black with blue highlights.

I'm starting to get the feeling though, I might be better off just having the gun re-blued. I am getting worried that I am teetering on getting to financially invested in this gun. I bought it for $300, re-finish the stock (well thats free) and now re-bluing. Heck I could have bought a brand new gun for way cheaper than that.

Then again, I wouldn't have a piece of history that I hopefully have turned into a beautiful rifle.

On a side note though, I decided against recheckering the stock. I got my hands on all the tooling, but the look of the stock without the checkering has really grown on me.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Darin,

If you want to go with a spray on finish, I suggest Brownell's Aluma-Hide II. That's what's on my Eddystone and it's holding up well. It's downright cheap and is available in colors other than the matte black that I used.

If you go that route, buy two cans in case you need a little extra and also to have just in case.

Rebluing sounds good as well and that seems to be about the going rate.

Here's a link to the Aluma Hyde: World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I had the action parts CERAKOTED with Sig Black and I'm happy with the outcome. I had it done. I think I'll try to do the next project myself.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #9

Thanks Don. I had looked at that when I read your post on the Eddystone. The more I look around the more options I find I have. I still have a couple of days before my recoil pad comes in and then I'll get back to work on the stock. I'll probably keep looking around at different things and make a decision between spray on coating, hot blue or parkerizing.

Cane, that is a beautiful gun. One day I am going to get a 3.5" 1911.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd suggest "Cerahide" by CCR

001.jpg  

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/