Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Cerakote vs. Duracoat (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/cerakote-vs-duracoat-37170/)

DarinCraft 01-21-2011 04:07 AM

Cerakote vs. Duracoat

I know this has been discussed on every other forum out there, but I couldn't find it here and you guys I trust.

Does anyone have experience with one or the other or maybe both and would like to share good, bad or compare the two?

I read that Cerakote is tougher, but harder to apply.

CA357 01-21-2011 06:30 AM

I had a Model 36 Duracoated and it chipped off in a few places and wore off in others. It was applied by a friend of mine who is in the body and paint business. The gun had been bead blasted and some parts were glass blasted. It was prepped, cleaned and sprayed properly.

So I personally would not use Duracoat. I've never had a gun Ceracoated, so I can't help you there.

Are you planning on sending it out, and if so, what is your budget, if you don't mind me asking. I'm assuming this is for your project rifle.

rjd3282 01-21-2011 07:18 AM

I've used Duracoat and I have used several of the colors some are not to durable. The Colt Grey seems to be the best. I have Dura coat black on my carry gun and it hasn't held up at all. My rifles don't get banged around like my pistols so it works well for them. I think I will try the Cerakote when I redo my carry gun. People seem to have better things to say about it.

danf_fl 01-21-2011 09:27 AM

Have you considered parkerizing? Videos on youtube show people doing it on their BBQ grills.

JonM 01-21-2011 02:17 PM

only things i would use duracoat on are investment cast things like ruger 10/22 recievers that cant be anodized or parkerized or blued. i wouldnt use it less there isnt anything else that will do what ya want.

my pink ruger 10/22 the reciever was duracoated pink over at gander mountain. the smith that did it said i should let it sit for 2 weeks to harden. i let it sit for 2 months before i assembled it. it scratches really easy. got a few finish dings just from reassembly. fortunately the stock hides the marks.

durability i give duracoat a 0 out of 10.

dunno anything about cerakote.

the tool grade nitride finishes are very good but require special tools to apply. remington's trinyte is one of those. but its not something you can do in your wife's oven.

DarinCraft 01-22-2011 05:06 AM

Thanks for the great info guys.

Don, to answer your question yes. I called a gunsmith here locally and he said he would re-blue my receiver and barrel for around $125 dependent on the prep work needed. I looked at Duracoat and they have a "blue" color and had never heard anything about CeraKote until Cane posted a link to their site. They have a black with blue highlights.

I'm starting to get the feeling though, I might be better off just having the gun re-blued. I am getting worried that I am teetering on getting to financially invested in this gun. I bought it for $300, re-finish the stock (well thats free) and now re-bluing. Heck I could have bought a brand new gun for way cheaper than that.

Then again, I wouldn't have a piece of history that I hopefully have turned into a beautiful rifle.

On a side note though, I decided against recheckering the stock. I got my hands on all the tooling, but the look of the stock without the checkering has really grown on me.

CA357 01-22-2011 05:14 AM

Darin,

If you want to go with a spray on finish, I suggest Brownell's Aluma-Hide II. That's what's on my Eddystone and it's holding up well. It's downright cheap and is available in colors other than the matte black that I used.

If you go that route, buy two cans in case you need a little extra and also to have just in case.

Rebluing sounds good as well and that seems to be about the going rate.

Here's a link to the Aluma Hyde: World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

canebrake 01-22-2011 05:22 AM

I had the action parts CERAKOTED with Sig Black and I'm happy with the outcome. I had it done. I think I'll try to do the next project myself.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...CF4803-1-2.jpg

DarinCraft 01-22-2011 05:52 AM

Thanks Don. I had looked at that when I read your post on the Eddystone. The more I look around the more options I find I have. I still have a couple of days before my recoil pad comes in and then I'll get back to work on the stock. I'll probably keep looking around at different things and make a decision between spray on coating, hot blue or parkerizing.

Cane, that is a beautiful gun. One day I am going to get a 3.5" 1911.

jca1 01-22-2011 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd suggest "Cerahide" by CCR