Cerakote...need help! - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Cerakote...need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2442 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock999 View Post
what you say is true to an extent. but stainless steel guns will rust as well. they are more resistant to rust, but not immune. and how much a stainless steel gun can rust depends on the alloy content of the metal.
Stainless also has its set of problems with regard to collecting scratches over the years. Manufacturers like Sig and Smith&Wesson have used a Melonite finish on top of stainless steel parts.

Also, some folks just don't want a shiney gun.

That which does not kill you makes you stronger...except submarines, they'll just plain kill you.

Warlock999 Likes This 
Old 11-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #62

Liked 551 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Stainless also has its set of problems with regard to collecting scratches over the years. Manufacturers like Sig and Smith&Wesson have used a Melonite finish on top of stainless steel parts.

Also, some folks just don't want a shiney gun.
shiny guns are for pimps! just like pearl handles!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #63

Liked 149 Times on 98 Posts

The fact is- most stainless guns DON'T rust. There is always someone who feels the need to state that they can rust. With minimal care, stainless guns will be rust free. Scratches are easily polished out of stainless finishes.
As far as the shiny guns comment- that's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it-silly as it may be. However, different finishes have been popular for a very long time. And, it has nothing to do with "pimps."
Mother of pearl (or pearl, as it's called) is probably the most beautiful natural material. It's also durable and very expensive. Guns don't have to be "black" to be enjoyable!

Bill DeShivs

Last edited by BillDeShivs; 11-15-2014 at 08:12 PM.
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 11-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
The fact is- most stainless guns DON'T rust. There is always someone who feels the need to state that they can rust. With minimal care, stainless guns will be rust free. Scratches are easily polished out of stainless finishes.
As far as the shiny guns comment- that's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it-silly as it may be. However, different finishes have been popular for a very long time. And, it has nothing to do with "pimps."
Mother of pearl (or pearl, as it's called) is probably the most beautifil natural material. It's also durable and very expensive. Guns don't have to be "black" to be enjoyable!
maybe most stainless steel guns don't rust, but i have seen a few over the years get a few rust specks in the finish. it depends on the alloy the stainless steel is.

and yes, i'm entitled to my opinion and you're not obligated to agree with it if you choose not to. and the remark was more sarcasm and tongue in cheek humor than anything else. but that pretty much went over your head.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #65

Liked 149 Times on 98 Posts

No, it didn't go over my head. There are lots of people who think shiny guns aren't "manly." There are others, who actually may like "pimped" guns, but are afraid to admit it because they see/hear remarks like yours.
It's OK to paint your gun green if you want. It's ok to have shiny finishes-or black finishes. Gun embellishment has been an accepted art form for centuries. Hand engraved, plated finishes and exotic handle materials are OK. People put expensive ivory or pearl grips on their guns-and people put classless grips with skulls on ther guns. If it makes you happy, it's OK.
As someone who embellishes guns in a traditional way, I'm a little touchy about those "Patton" pimp comments.
What a thread! I have been argued with, ridiculed, threatened, insulted and offended-here and in emails and PMs. Lighten up, guys. Way too much testosterone here.

Bill DeShivs

Last edited by BillDeShivs; 11-15-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #66

Quote:
No, it didn't go over my head. There are lots of people who think shiny guns aren't "manly." There are others, who actually may like "pimped" guns, but are afraid to admit it because they see/hear remarks like yours.
It's OK to paint your gun green if you want. It's ok to have shiny finishes-or black finishes. Gun embellishment has been an accepted art form for centuries. Hand engraved, plated finishes and exotic handle materials are OK. People put expensive ivory or pearl grips on their guns-and people put classless grips with skulls on ther guns. If it makes you happy, it's OK.
As someone who embellishes guns in a traditional way, I'm a little touchy about those "Patton" pimp comments.
What a thread! I have been argued with, ridiculed, threatened, insulted and offended-here and in emails and PMs. Lighten up, guys. Way too much testosterone here.
in my opinion, shiny guns either belong in a pimps pocket or museum case!

that's strictly an opinion i have. frankly, i don't care whether others agree or what they like to own or carry. it's a free world and everyone is allowed to make their own choices.

i like simple elegance in my guns. simpler the better. the elegance is in the details and workmanship.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #67

Liked 2442 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Mother of pearl (or pearl, as it's called) is probably the most beautiful natural material. It's also durable and very expensive. Guns don't have to be "black" to be enjoyable!
I have a couple stainless guns. I was just making the comment in reply to the other poster who joked that folks should just get stainless guns and not worry about finish problems. My Ruger MKII is a favorite of mine and I like it in stainless. My M&P 40 has a stainless slide, but is finished by S&W in a black Melonite, which is very durable and low maintenance. I don't dictate to people to only get black guns. They can get brushed stainless, bead blasted stainless, polished stainless or Nickel plate if they want. I just didn't think stainless is the one size fits all solution.

Also, some new shooters and collectors do not realize that stainless does require some maintenance like other finishes. It is not just a "forget about it" material.

No offense meant by my comment.

That which does not kill you makes you stronger...except submarines, they'll just plain kill you.

Warlock999 Likes This 
Old 11-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I have a couple stainless guns. I was just making the comment in reply to the other poster who joked that folks should just get stainless guns and not worry about finish problems. My Ruger MKII is a favorite of mine and I like it in stainless. My M&P 40 has a stainless slide, but is finished by S&W in a black Melonite, which is very durable and low maintenance. I don't dictate to people to only get black guns. They can get brushed stainless, bead blasted stainless, polished stainless or Nickel plate if they want. I just didn't think stainless is the one size fits all solution.

Also, some new shooters and collectors do not realize that stainless does require some maintenance like other finishes. It is not just a "forget about it" material.

No offense meant by my comment.
and some people have the misconception that simply because a gun is made of stainless steel they don't require oiling or cleaning. to a degree they are much more resistant to rust, but they are by no means immune. they still need to be cleaned and oiled just like any other firearm.