Cerakote...need help! - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing >

Cerakote...need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
"Applied coating."
If you brush, spray, or dip it on, it's still paint.
Anything that goes over bare metal can be classified as an applied coating Bill. Even plating like chrome and nickle. All the OP wanted was help in selecting a finish option. Cerakote and Duracoat are both excellent products and in some cases perform better than some factory finishes I've been seeing lately. Even better, they are products that can be applied by anyone.
bradam Likes This 
Old 08-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #52

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
"Applied coating."

If you brush, spray, or dip it on, it's still paint.

Chrome is paint? Where can I get that "paint" to spray it out of my HVLP gun?

Derek@GSDCoatings.com
GSD Coatings LLC
732-722-2955 - Office

Old 08-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #53

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke124 View Post
HEY guys I wanna cerakote some of my pistols (mainly my Glock frames) but have no clue as to how the process goes. Any insight on this stuff? Do I have to bake it in the oven? And BTW I want the best finish available so if its sub par to cerakote, don't mention it. From what I hear cerakote is the best aftermarket finish available. So I need to know if I need any special tools or anything like that, how it cures, etc. All help is appreciated.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Hey broke, if you ever need help on cerakote, please feel free to email me at anytime. I will answer any questions for you that I can.

Derek@GSDCoatings.com
GSD Coatings LLC
732-722-2955 - Office

Old 08-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #54

Liked 198 Times on 132 Posts

Derek-
I never said that chrome is paint. You don't "dip it on," it's an electrolytic process.
I was offering the "applied coating" terminology as an alternative to "paint."
I never said that Cerakote was a bad coating. I said it is paint, and it is. I know the "paint" terminology bothers you guys that want to customize your guns. Modern guns offer little in the way of customizing canvases. It just doesn't sound special to say "I had my gun painted," but it's the truth.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #55

Liked 1118 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default Cerakote...need help!

So by your definition would you also consider powder coating to be painting? Just because it is not plated such as chrome, or salt bath nitrided or nickel boron coated does not make it paint. The make up is entirely different then paint hence the durability. Calling it paint over and over and over again really just sounds like your are trying to cheapen the product and/or results.

I myself have done an Ar build where I have had all of the receiver parts NiB-X coated by WMD. Many done with salt bath nitrided barrels and BCG's. One with a TiN BCG. And a bunch with Cerakote. In fact every one of my AR's is Cerakoted. In my own unscientific testing it holds up better than the original anodizing. The NiB-X was the most durable of the exterior finishes and cleans the easiest.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last edited by TexasGunner; 08-16-2014 at 09:00 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #56

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cerakote...need help!

Very we'll said sir!
TheOldMan Likes This 
Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #57

Liked 198 Times on 132 Posts

From Wikipedia:
"Paint is any liquid, liquefiable, or mastic composition that, after application to a substrate in a thin layer, converts to a solid film. It is most commonly used to protect, color, or provide texture to objects. Paint can be made or purchased in many colors—and in many different types, such as watercolor, artificial, etc. Paint is typically stored, sold, and applied as a liquid, but dries into a solid."

Now, I'm done here. I have been threatened twice over semantics. How ridiculous!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #58

Hi Guys

I have something to say about all of this subject !

Just go with a complete, full stainless gun and you don't have the issues of things chipping, peeling, cracking and wearing off to the bare metal ! lol

Truth is I just joined this forum two days ago and I find it very interesting!
I just wanted to say hi to everybody and I really enjoy reading all the information posted here, there is so many knowledgeable people on this forum.
I'm really looking forward to learning more about my guns even though I've been around guns for 45 years

I also want to pay a special thank you to all the veterans out there this past Veterans Day for all that you served and given to our country, to me and my family thank you very much !

D

Old 11-13-2014, 03:58 AM   #59

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have two guns that I have owned for over 30 years. They are just blued finish on shiny metal. For well over 10 years the guns sat without any care. I was busy traveling the US. Both of the guns look like new. I also have a marlin 60 that is a little older. The Marlin 60 has some rust and a warped stock because it was left in the trunk of a car for years. The Marlin still shoots good and really doesn't look that bad. The only thing I have done that destroyed the finish on a gun is I left my Super Blackhawk in the bottom of a boat all winter. When I found the Super Blackhawk it was sitting in water with ice all over it. I sent the SB back to Ruger. In a couple months my Super Blackhawk was sitting on my door step looking better than it did when it was new.

Would Cerakote have fared any better? Glock claims their finish will last 28 years in salt water. I have yet to see that Glock that has been swimming for the past 28 years.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:07 AM   #60

Liked 556 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunrunner1 View Post
Hi Guys

I have something to say about all of this subject !

Just go with a complete, full stainless gun and you don't have the issues of things chipping, peeling, cracking and wearing off to the bare metal ! lol

Truth is I just joined this forum two days ago and I find it very interesting!
I just wanted to say hi to everybody and I really enjoy reading all the information posted here, there is so many knowledgeable people on this forum.
I'm really looking forward to learning more about my guns even though I've been around guns for 45 years

I also want to pay a special thank you to all the veterans out there this past Veterans Day for all that you served and given to our country, to me and my family thank you very much !

D
what you say is true to an extent. but stainless steel guns will rust as well. they are more resistant to rust, but not immune. and how much a stainless steel gun can rust depends on the alloy content of the metal.
SSGN_Doc Likes This