Cerakote...need help! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Cerakote...need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm just really interested in altering color. May end up doing some metal coating on my Sig frames as well. Any other suggestions?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #12

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I've been looking at this for my daughters gun, kinda a girly girl thing for her. I would like to know how well it holds up on a M&P of a 1911.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I saw a video on Duracoat and it was incredible to say the least. Watch it on You Tube and then make up your mind. I really think you will go with the Diracoat when you see what colors it has and the look it gives to the firearms. Check it out first and I know you will definitely change your mind. Good luck!
big shrek Likes This 
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #14

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Duracoat, way better, more colors check out the electric colors.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #15

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

I have duracoated several polymer frame pistols. Its extremely easy. Cerakote is a tougher finish but duracoat is damn strong. The last two I did were a Glock 17 and an H&K USP 9mm both in flat dark earth. Don't have pics b/c I did them at my shop. Sandblast at about 30-35 Psi after the frame is stripped down-takes about 5 min w/a Glock-not so much with the H&K. It doesn't take a lot, just lightly roughens up the surface to accept the paint easier, then wipe down with acetone several times. Get an airbrush gun and paint! I usually make a couple to three passes. Its all about the preparation, the better you do preparing, the cleaner it will look. I've had a couple of bad ones due to bad preparation. It needs about 3 weeks to fully air cure so don't rush it....beauty takes time. And btw, duracoat offers soooooo many more colors than cerakote. Hope this helps, this is just the way we do it.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Last edited by g17frantz; 04-18-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Glock Frame Cerakote

Cerakote is a super hard ceramic coating that resists wear and tear well. A lot of flex probably wouldn't be great as ceramics are notoriously brittle. However, I don't think there's enough flex in a Glock frame to be a problem. Cerakote operates through a network of "applicators" who can be located through a map on the Cerakote website. These are gunsmiths local to you who are competent to perform the process. Cerakote comes in 2 flavors, air dry and heat dry. As for the slide or barrel, I'd probably opt for Titanium Nitride or similar coating as those components take quite a beating.
big shrek Likes This 
Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #17

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm not trying to be funny but why would you Cerakote a polymer frame?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Only reason I can think of is to change the color. A lot of folks want to customize their toys to make them their own. I've known people to just grab a can of Krylon and do the job, but I think one has to be a Philistine to use a $2.99 can of paint on a $500 pistol. As for Cerakoting, I'd have a pro do the job unless one is very handy, which I'm not.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My two cents worth... One thing to remeber is that Cerekote will add thickness to whatever you apply it to so frame rails and stuff like that may have to be sanded slightly for them to fit and function properly.. I exclusevely use Dura-Coat because it goes on much thinner and does not alter fit and function in the least bit. Dura-Coat is an extremely durable finish that will withstand years of wear and tear. As mentioned before, Dura-Coat comes in a ton of colors and can be applied to anything from metal to wood and does not require baking.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd agree, except that Glocks are (intentionally?) made pretty loose. I think it would take a pretty thick coat of anything to obstruct them. I'm having my slide done in Titanium Nitride (which is gold and has a Rockwell number of >65).