Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Can you tell from picture whats? whats? Correct approach (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/can-you-tell-picture-whats-whats-correct-approach-73598/)

lilbailnick 10-02-2012 11:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm learning every day from the endless interWEB info for the K98k Mauser! I did arrive late to the K98k desire party! But my question is can anyone tell what of what finish was put on the stock? Is it shellac? I can tell you that the take down disc&recoil lug had what appeared like black latex paint cause it came off like it, just by scratching it. Research would say it could be RC? I wanna take off what ever it is and hope to keep stock marking visible. The close up photo is to give better view to figure out if its indeed shellac Thoughts or suggestions and thanks

Attachment 62050

Attachment 62052

hiwall 10-03-2012 02:31 AM

easy the check if it is shellac- just try a little alcohol ( rubbing alcohol or ever clear 190 proof or denatured alcohol) on it. alcohol dissolves shellac

lilbailnick 10-03-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
easy the check if it is shellac- just try a little alcohol ( rubbing alcohol or ever clear 190 proof or denatured alcohol) on it. alcohol dissolves shellac

Have you ever removed shellac with a rag rather than 0000 wool? I'd rather not ever use wool! I have done a little test spot where barrel band goes and it appears to wipe away! Would others not recommend removing it and leave the way it is? It does just look like crap as is!

hiwall 10-03-2012 10:59 PM

the alcohol totally dissolves shellac so a rag would be fine. What others say does not really pertain as the only one to please is you. Do what you want.

lilbailnick 10-04-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

the alcohol totally dissolves shellac so a rag would be fine. What others say does not really pertain as the only one to please is you. Do what you want.

Thanks for the input! I suppose my next question as per research and or recommendation that I've found is that most follow shellac removal with Boiled Linseed Oil. And again to be noted that as much as I'd like to have a collector K98 Mauser this one is surplus slinger fun guy range shooter! So further advice to be give should know my purpose of this Rifle. Thanks again

lilbailnick 10-04-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Last one...sorry is there any other such suggested step to do after shellac removal before applying a new coat of what ever? Or does the alcohol it self when removing shellac clean and prepare the stock alone? Thanks again

hiwall 10-04-2012 12:28 AM

unless you want to do a little sanding otherwise it should be good to go