Can The Finish On A Shotgun Receiver Be Removed?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing >

Can The Finish On A Shotgun Receiver Be Removed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can The Finish On A Shotgun Receiver Be Removed?

I am in the process of purchasing a very high quality used over and under shotgun. The finish on the receiver and bottom plate are finished in a dark gray. I've seen pictures of the same gun with the "standard" polished bare metal receiver and really like that look better.

Is it possible for a gunsmith to take the existing finish back to the bare, polished metal? If so, could anyone possibly give me an idea how expensive it might be. Thank you for any assistance with this.

JC

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #2

Liked 2183 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

It depends on what the receiver is made of. If it is stainless it will polish up nice. Aluminum might. Other metals...not so much. You might polish the crap out of it, have it look beautiful. Then come back two weeks later to find it covered with rust.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 11-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #3

Liked 2513 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

It depends on what metal the receiver is made of and what finish is used. If it is stainless steel then you could look into having it stripped down. If it is carbon steel, then you have to worry about rust if you strip it bare.

Some finishes like Parkerizing or two part phenolic epoxy finishes may require some pretty aggressive steps to remove them, like sand blasting. Ifiteas bead blasted and blued for a dull finish it can be polished, but you are back to no protection for the metal.

What type of shotgun. Maybe we can look up the finish type?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #4

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I wouldn't buy a new gun just to strip it down. I would either find a gun that looks like I want it to look or I would let it pass. High end guns lose their value when you add your artistic touches to them.
deg Likes This 
Old 11-10-2014, 03:59 AM   #5

Liked 557 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverUnder19 View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a very high quality used over and under shotgun. The finish on the receiver and bottom plate are finished in a dark gray. I've seen pictures of the same gun with the "standard" polished bare metal receiver and really like that look better.

Is it possible for a gunsmith to take the existing finish back to the bare, polished metal? If so, could anyone possibly give me an idea how expensive it might be. Thank you for any assistance with this.

JC
first of all that is probably not a polished bare metal receiver, but plated with nickel or chrome depending on the base metal, unless the receiver happens to be stainless steel, and then it's possibly polished to a high sheen.

and the receiver with the gray finish may be a different type of metal than the one with the high polished finish. sometimes a manufacturer may use different types of metal in the same model of a firearm.

my suggestion would be to buy the one you want to begin with, even if there is a price difference, simply because of two factors, both involving cost and value. one, it will cost you more money to have a gunsmith spend the time to make the change, the other is the value of the gun will drop by a significant margin by doing it. if it's an older gun, you could destroy it's value by a huge amount doing such a thing. very few guns increase in value by changing it's finish.

if it's new gun you're looking at getting, order the one you want to begin with. if it's an older one out of production, then keep looking for the one you want.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:06 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
It depends on what metal the receiver is made of and what finish is used. If it is stainless steel then you could look into having it stripped down. If it is carbon steel, then you have to worry about rust if you strip it bare.

Some finishes like Parkerizing or two part phenolic epoxy finishes may require some pretty aggressive steps to remove them, like sand blasting. Ifiteas bead blasted and blued for a dull finish it can be polished, but you are back to no protection for the metal.

What type of shotgun. Maybe we can look up the finish type?
This is the shotgun in question:

http://gueriniusa.com/shotguns/summit-sporting/

Unlike the one pictured, mine simply has a dark gray finish on the receiver. I would agree with the advice to buy the gun the way you want it, but I could simply not afford a new one. If the finish of the receiver can't be affordably changed to the one shown in the picture, my choices are either to live with it the way it is, or pass on buying it and forget the idea of buying a sporting clays gun in this class. Given the choices. I'll probably just live with it. Thanks very much to everyone for their input.

JC
deg Likes This 
Old 11-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #7

Liked 557 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverUnder19 View Post
This is the shotgun in question:

http://gueriniusa.com/shotguns/summit-sporting/

Unlike the one pictured, mine simply has a dark gray finish on the receiver. I would agree with the advice to buy the gun the way you want it, but I could simply not afford a new one. If the finish of the receiver can't be affordably changed to the one shown in the picture, my choices are either to live with it the way it is, or pass on buying it and forget the idea of buying a sporting clays gun in this class. Given the choices. I'll probably just live with it. Thanks very much to everyone for their input.

JC
that shotgun, at that price and it's value, you would destroy it's value by changing it. if you did decide to sell it at some point, you would be lucky to get half it's worth if you changed the finish.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:33 AM   #8

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Call the manufacturer. The custom shop wants $1,200 to refinish a receiver.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like I will live with the gray receiver. I don't actually dislike it, simply preferred the look of the silver. Oh well, at the price I am getting this lightly used gun, I can't complain. Thanks to everyone for your information and perspective.

JC

Last edited by OverUnder19; 11-11-2014 at 08:39 PM.