Bluing a bolt

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Bluing a bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bluing a bolt

Hello again my folks, I come this time with a question about bluing. I have been thinking about bluing the bolt on my Mosin-Nagant 91/30. I am not really concerned with the historical aspect of this rifle, so I am not worried about the re-sale value and such. Has anyone done this? If so what is the best way to do it? Is it even possible? Thanks again folks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Anything made of carbon steel can be blued. Not really sure why you would want to blue the bolt since it's gonna see a lot of wear from use but to each his own

Any good quality cold blue should work for you but if you want a longer lasting more durable blue finish, take it to a smith who's set up for hot blue...

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 02-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

actually you might increase the value by bluing the bolt, if the rifles not anything too special, as one guy put it they're so many of the damn things that at this point by modifying them you can make them worth more then what you paid for the damn things.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
actually you might increase the value by bluing the bolt, if the rifles not anything too special, as one guy put it they're so many of the damn things that at this point by modifying them you can make them worth more then what you paid for the damn things.
I have to disagree with your statement about increased value... I restore old milsurps as a hobby and soon a source of supplimental income (I'll be retired at the end of April). True value is going to be in how close to original the firearm is. Modifying or "improving" the firearm will more than likely detract from it's collector value rather than inhance it....

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"