Blueing a m43 Mauser bolt
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing >

Blueing a m43 Mauser bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 64 Times on 43 Posts

Default Blueing a m43 Mauser bolt

I just got my first Mauser. It's a Spanish m43 Mauser in 8x57 with a .323 barrel. I plan on blueing the bolt because I am going to hunt with it and I don't want the sun reflecting off the bolt. I would rather blue it than spray paint it. Can I cold blue it or do I need to have it "treated"?

I usually leave old surplus guns like they are. Some mausers have blued bolts, some don't. It depends on the country. I found a k98 German Mauser online that had a full blueing job done to it.

I also am considering having the bolt checkered to look like the bolt handle on a m700.

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Supporting Member
Liked 3748 Times on 1804 Posts
Likes Given: 1864

You could cold blue it! But usually it will not last that long. Or you can take it to someone who blues. If what you are wanting with a dull anti glare while hunting you might want to consider Parkerizing. It is a real simple process anyone can do! You need to disassemble your bolt obviously, but you can do it on your stove with a parkerizing kit. It does not take any effort to do it. A Pan, the solution, and your stove in the kitchen. If I remember correctly? you heat the solution to about 165 Degrees and Whala! It is done. It has been several years since I have done it but I use to do all the older Remington 870 Shotguns on the agency. Then lube it good and let the lube stand on the parts for a while then wipe off the excess and put it back together. I think you can get the kit in a darker color now other than the traditional grey. Do not Parkerize the Firing Pin. I am sure Brownells probably has the kits. If not you can find the kits on the Internet. And they are not expensive. Just a thought! However if you want it to look fancy the Parkerizing is not your ticket since it is a dull finish.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
Old 04-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Liked 266 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If you are one that slides and gun in and out of a gun case then you know that the knob on the bolt gets polished and get shiny. That even happens over time with hot blued bolt actions. If you desire is to make it dull and black then make the surface finish rougher with 320 grit and use cold bluing, Paint wont hold up as well as cold blue but Brownells baking lacquer will hold up pretty well and comes in a variety of colors aside from black.
Love your guns, spend time with them.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Liked 216 Times on 142 Posts

Unless the bolt is shiny, it is a non-issue. Plain unpolished steel will not reflect much sunlight.
Bill DeShivs