Blued pistol refurnish for corrosion resistance

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Blued pistol refurnish for corrosion resistance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Blued pistol refurnish for corrosion resistance

Hello:

I use standard chrome-moly pistols around a saltwater environment. Even being very careful I find rust spots occasionally. What would be by best choice for corrosion resistance in a flat black color? I see Dura-Coat advertised.

Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

First, stop by the introductions and let us know about yourself. We like that.

What parts of your firearm are you finding rust spots on? Are you holsters retaining the salt water? Or something else you can change to reduce the chance of rust?

One of our moderators did a practical test of different fluid protectants specifically against salt water. I'm too tired to find the thread right now, but maybe he can stop by and give you the inside scoop.

Any coat that is not metal (duracoat) would be more effective in stopping rust.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 AM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

I have seen some asolutely incredible reviews and commentary on the qualities of duracoat... Would be a great option to consider... Also, durabake as it is less sensitive to temperature changes...