Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Blackening / Darken stainless steel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Blackening / Darken stainless steel?

Is there anything I can use to blacken stainless short of the special Brownell's hot bath salts? I have a older Mini 14, a Delta Elite and couple of other stainless guns that I need to be at least "tac neutral" as far a shine & gloss go. I figured I would just strip & glass bead them but they need to toned down. Not pretty....... true subdued field carry guns, pretty or even uniform is not on my list and the paint on finishes don't sound real good to me either.

What would happen if I tried cold blue or phosphate / parkerizing solution? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Capt. Thomas

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

In the old days it was paint. Try hi temperature spray paint -- made specifically for b-bcues but I've used "flat" to touch up motorcycle exhausts with surface rust. And, you can always change your mind and take it off!