Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Birchwood Casey Super Blue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How did I do it?

One of my blueing jobs... How did I do it?

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #12

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
No cold blue will hold up well, regardless of what it says on the package. The gun will also look terrible, regardless of the surface prep.
Not true, Not true, I have found a better way to use the BC cold blues.

I heat the CLEAN parts to be blued by boiling the parts in water.
Then putting the parts in a zip-lock freezer bag & dumping in the whole bottle of BC Super Blue in with the parts, zip it up and shake.
This makes it cover fast with no spots or streaks, long barrels can be put in bags made from Food Saver vacuum freezer bag that comes in rolls, just seal one end.
Repeat if needed back to water until hot, then back to the bag.
When you get a good dark finish put in the water reheat then put in new bag and do a soaking spray with a good gun oil like Remington's Rem-oil.
Seal the bag and let sit in warm place (I used the back window of an old car sitting in the sun) for 24hrs.
Works great with the BC Super Blue & Perma Blue.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #13

Liked 77 Times on 48 Posts

The Browning looks good.
But, cold blue doesn't hold up. It isn't real bluing. It's usually a copper sulphate solution.
You can make a gun look OK with cold blue, but it's akin to painting your car with a brush, in my opinion.
Everyone has a better method of applying it. I have been there and done that. I have even done a few decent jobs. Overall cold blues are not worth the effort. Rust bluing can be done at home, and it works well.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
The Browning looks good.
But, cold blue doesn't hold up. It isn't real bluing. It's usually a copper sulphate solution.
You can make a gun look OK with cold blue, but it's akin to painting your car with a brush, in my opinion.
Everyone has a better method of applying it. I have been there and done that. I have even done a few decent jobs. Overall cold blues are not worth the effort. Rust bluing can be done at home, and it works well.
Thanks for the compliment on the browning.. The pictures do not show how really nice the gun turned out and the client was very happy with it. I do agree that cold bluing is not as durable as the hot blues but I'm fix'n to do another project using a product call Blue Wonder.. Supposed to be the hot blue of cold blue solutions. Posting in another thread so keep an eye out to see how this gun works out for me.

I do plan to set up for hot bluing in the near future however.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"