Best finish possible? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Best finish possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If you want the best, go with Hard Hat Treatment from Severns Custom.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
I'm sure you can paint a gun with the best of them. Thank you for your service to our country.
But- you're very wrong about plating. Perhaps it is you who should read up on plating. Industrial hard chrome, nitriding (which is not really plating,) electroless nickel, electrolytic nickel are much more durable than any paint. I'm not slamming your work. I'm stating that your knowledge of firearms finishes-especially plating is lacking.
LOL.. I pretty much expected this type of response... I am certainly not comparing painting to plating.. You made a statement that plating was better than blueing.. I simply stated that you are incorrect. There are many styles of coatings that we apply to firearms.. Some prefer the flash of chrome and nickel and some prefer the more traditional finishes.. Then there are the "painted" finishes and the matte style called parkerizing.. Dude, look, you do your thing, I'll do mine.. But you are so wrong about plating. You simply will not live long enough to see your product fail as all plating will in time.

I've been in this forum a long time and simply do not have the time to continue argueing with close minded folks like yourself...

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
If you want the best, go with Hard Hat Treatment from Severns Custom.
Thanks. I've heard of him, but haven't seen to much of his work outside of his own. Everyone else seems to preoccupied with something I said just to prevent people from saying "just dura coat it!" Which would be unproductive.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

All due respect WannaBe... You did start by discounting dura-coat... But there are ton's of finishes out there to chose from.. Just depends on how you want your firearm to look. For me the best is the old school Park and blued finishes. The only thing I don't like about the park finish is how easy it is to mark it up.. Almost like when you run your finger across a piece of velvet.. (if you know what I mean) But the best thing about parerizing is that it's adding to the metal surface and not etching it as blueing does.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #15

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

DuraCoat is a highly durable finish. Enough durability to exceed the average user.

With that said, you guys are debating apples and oranges.

It is impossible for DuraCoat to be more durable than plating based on the sciences of the two materials. Sheesh.

Edit: And chrome is ugly as sin, but that is just my personal opinion.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraCoater View Post
DuraCoat is a highly durable finish. Enough durability to exceed the average user.

With that said, you guys are debating apples and oranges.

It is impossible for DuraCoat to be more durable than plating based on the sciences of the two materials. Sheesh.

Edit: And chrome is ugly as sin, but that is just my personal opinion.
I like matte silver finishes and matte or semi gloss black finishes. Really effing shiny makes it look like your packing a pistol to compensate for a lack of a gun (Full metal jacket all the way). But again, I wouldn't apply dura coat to anything I wouldn't label as "disposable" unless I was in a situation that really called for it.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #17

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

That is one reason I like DuraCoat. You can control the gloss or matte level by the mix.