Bead blast recipes?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Bead blast recipes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Default Bead blast recipes?

I'm wanting to bead blast an sp101 and I know different bead sizes at different PSI's will give different shades of matte finish. Anybody ever experimented with this enough to know what will give me the darker grey color I see on some bead blast jobs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Bead blasting......

Not so much the material you use in the blasting dept.....What type of steel are you working with. You can use fine sand, glass beads, and even walnut hull......Are try baking soda and water blasting......What is this dark coloring your referring to.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #3

Liked 987 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

This could go wrong quick. I'd stick to some of the least abrasive media, maybe walnut shells, or soda. Did you know that if you loiter too long in one area, you will warp whatever you are blasting? Granted, it's worse with thin sheet, but a gun has some tight tolerances.......

Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #4

I'm going for a darker matte grey like this

image-2299810381.jpg

I've seen some on here at FTF talk of blasting their own guns. And from what I've heard it seems ti be a project you can DIY if you have access to a blaster. Maybe I'm wrong.

But it's stainless steel as is with a brushed finish but I much prefer matte finishes.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You will bore yourself to tears trying to achieve the finish you want on SS using glass beads, walnut hulls or soda.

You will need to use something like Brown/White Aluminum Oxide, Silicon Carbide, Carbon Cut Wire, Cast Stainless Steel Shot or Steel Grit.

Media material, grit size and blast pressure will give you many choices of finish.

^ This finish was achieved on my SS Colt XSE using a relatively aggressive aluminum oxide at 90#. A less aggressive grit would produce a matte surface finish.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
willshoum Likes This 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #6

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You will bore yourself to tears trying to achieve the finish you want on SS using glass beads, walnut hulls or soda.

You will need to use something like Brown/White Aluminum Oxide, Silicon Carbide, Carbon Cut Wire, Cast Stainless Steel Shot or Steel Grit.

Media material, grit size and blast pressure will give you many choices of finish.

^ This finish was achieved on my SS Colt XSE using a relatively aggressive aluminum oxide at 90#. A less aggressive grit would produce a matte surface finish.
Yup-^^ I used regualar playbox sand on one & turned out fine-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

canebrake Likes This 
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #7

Thanks for the info y'all,I may just take it up to the gunsmith and see what he has to say about a blast job on it.