Antiqued Finish

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Antiqued Finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Antiqued Finish

Just curious how I could finish a gun to make it look older antique but not abused and rusty. More of a silver/grey look than blue. Kinda like this one. Thanks

finish.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #2

Liked 835 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1728

Default Mock "Antique" finish

I have done reenacting (F&I, Rev and some Civil era)... So I have some knowledge on this... but these guys at Brownell's say it better than I can;
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10822/guntechdetail/href=
BTW.... nice looking shooter there!!

Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 979 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by starving030
Just curious how I could finish a gun to make it look older antique but not abused and rusty. More of a silver/grey look than blue. Kinda like this one. Thanks
If it is a shotgun, and you can get it to me quickly, I will use it hard for the rest of dove season.....

Seriously, though....a green scrubbie or softer white one should 'age' the bluing on edges and touch points generally found on seasoned weapons. The wood furniture can be removed and conditioned with any steel wool, light sandpaper, big grit emory cloth....depends on how antiqued you want.
I usually work firearms in the other direction-reversing age

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

unclebear Likes This 
Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks. That shotgun is not what I'm going to work on. it actually is old already. Will keep it original. It's a Marlin 1898. To dangerous to, to cool to get rid of.

But, I have a 1911 that is polished blue I want to do this to just for fun. Just to be different than most others I guess. I got a super deal so it doesn't bother me to redo the finish completely if it doesn't turn out.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Ok. Just found a video online of a guy using a cheap green scrubby pad and basically rubbing the bluing down to get that greyish look. Heavier on the wear points and less everywhere else. Is there some way to keep it from rusting once the raw metal shows?

Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7645 Times on 4159 Posts
Likes Given: 16008

Quote:
Originally Posted by starving030
Is there some way to keep it from rusting once the raw metal shows?
Polish it to a mirror shine. Look up Pauly's Steelin'

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

Liked 119 Times on 76 Posts

Here's something to think about:
Real antique guns were once brand new. Why would you want to make a gun look old? Even reenactors? The guns were new when they were being used originally!
Plus, you really screw up the value of your gun.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #8

Liked 835 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1728

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
Real antique guns were once brand new. Why would you want to make a gun look old? Even reenactors? The guns were new when they were being used originally!
For the same reason you change stocks, alter or change barrels, grips, drill & tap for optics...It's called personal taste.... especially in the case of reenactors (..can I assume you are not one then??)... Some like a pristine look to their gear, others like a more worn appearance and use light grit sandpaper and baby oil to give that "working class" impression. Plus if you have an old beater you didn't pay much for in the first place and with no sentimental value... or (in my case w/ the black powder builds I've done) why not make it look like it's already done 5+ years on the frontier???
You don't like the idea.. don't do it. Go ahead and keep the action figures in the original packaging and the comics unread, bagged & boarded...You'll here nothing from me. It's still a free country (...at least, for now).

Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I just want something different than most. And I got lucky and stumbled across a deal paying a fraction of the going price for it. Besides, it's polished blue and getting refinished regardless. I am just going to try something different first.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1385 Posts
Likes Given: 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by starving030 View Post
Ok. Just found a video online of a guy using a cheap green scrubby pad and basically rubbing the bluing down to get that greyish look. Heavier on the wear points and less everywhere else. Is there some way to keep it from rusting once the raw metal shows?
Put it in a holster and ride it around in your truck/car. You will be amazed how much holster wear a gun will get after riding it around for a few months.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato