Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Engraving & Refinishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Antiqued Finish (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f54/antiqued-finish-97151/)

starving030 09-16-2013 08:30 PM

Antiqued Finish
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just curious how I could finish a gun to make it look older antique but not abused and rusty. More of a silver/grey look than blue. Kinda like this one. Thanks

NC1760 09-16-2013 08:44 PM

Mock "Antique" finish
 
I have done reenacting (F&I, Rev and some Civil era)... So I have some knowledge on this... but these guys at Brownell's say it better than I can;
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10822/guntechdetail/href=
BTW.... nice looking shooter there!!

TruggieTex 09-16-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starving030
Just curious how I could finish a gun to make it look older antique but not abused and rusty. More of a silver/grey look than blue. Kinda like this one. Thanks

If it is a shotgun, and you can get it to me quickly, I will use it hard for the rest of dove season.....;)

Seriously, though....a green scrubbie or softer white one should 'age' the bluing on edges and touch points generally found on seasoned weapons. The wood furniture can be removed and conditioned with any steel wool, light sandpaper, big grit emory cloth....depends on how antiqued you want.
I usually work firearms in the other direction-reversing age :)

starving030 09-16-2013 11:48 PM

Thanks. That shotgun is not what I'm going to work on. it actually is old already. Will keep it original. It's a Marlin 1898. To dangerous to, to cool to get rid of.

But, I have a 1911 that is polished blue I want to do this to just for fun. Just to be different than most others I guess. I got a super deal so it doesn't bother me to redo the finish completely if it doesn't turn out.

starving030 09-17-2013 12:22 AM

Ok. Just found a video online of a guy using a cheap green scrubby pad and basically rubbing the bluing down to get that greyish look. Heavier on the wear points and less everywhere else. Is there some way to keep it from rusting once the raw metal shows?

MisterMcCool 09-17-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starving030
Is there some way to keep it from rusting once the raw metal shows?

Polish it to a mirror shine. Look up Pauly's Steelin'

BillDeShivs 09-17-2013 06:51 AM

Here's something to think about:
Real antique guns were once brand new. Why would you want to make a gun look old? Even reenactors? The guns were new when they were being used originally!
Plus, you really screw up the value of your gun.

NC1760 09-17-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDeShivs (Post 1374526)
Here's something to think about:
Real antique guns were once brand new. Why would you want to make a gun look old? Even reenactors? The guns were new when they were being used originally!
Plus, you really screw up the value of your gun.

For the same reason you change stocks, alter or change barrels, grips, drill & tap for optics...It's called personal taste.... especially in the case of reenactors (..can I assume you are not one then??)... Some like a pristine look to their gear, others like a more worn appearance and use light grit sandpaper and baby oil to give that "working class" impression. Plus if you have an old beater you didn't pay much for in the first place and with no sentimental value... or (in my case w/ the black powder builds I've done) why not make it look like it's already done 5+ years on the frontier???
You don't like the idea.. don't do it. Go ahead and keep the action figures in the original packaging and the comics unread, bagged & boarded...You'll here nothing from me. It's still a free country (...at least, for now).

starving030 09-17-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Here's something to think about:
Real antique guns were once brand new. Why would you want to make a gun look old? Even reenactors? The guns were new when they were being used originally!
Plus, you really screw up the value of your gun.
I just want something different than most. And I got lucky and stumbled across a deal paying a fraction of the going price for it. Besides, it's polished blue and getting refinished regardless. I am just going to try something different first.

John_Deer 09-17-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starving030 (Post 1374179)
Ok. Just found a video online of a guy using a cheap green scrubby pad and basically rubbing the bluing down to get that greyish look. Heavier on the wear points and less everywhere else. Is there some way to keep it from rusting once the raw metal shows?

Put it in a holster and ride it around in your truck/car. You will be amazed how much holster wear a gun will get after riding it around for a few months.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.