Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > Airbrush themes for target rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 274 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Airbrush themes for target rifle

Well it's getting close for my target rifle to be completed. I'll have the barreled and trued action back here in about a week. In the middle of November McMillan Stocks will have my A-5 complete. By the end of November the rifle will totally ready to shoot.

Most of the guys at the range that have long range tactical rifles built usually have a black or cammo finish on their rigs. I've become totally board with these color schemes on these rifles. I want something different yet cool.

So Ive been looking at web sites for companies that do this kind of work. I found this company :::KILLER PAINT::: True Fire, Airbrush, Art, Murals, Hot Rods, Motorcyles, Fine Art, Mike Lavallee, Monster Garage, Overhaulin', Rides, TLC, Discovery, Custom Paint and I like their work.

So far the "True Fire" flame job has caught my eye and I think it looks cool. Also, because of the finished weight of this rig, I think I may incorporate the HEAVY METAL logo from the movie onto the stock. They also have a American Flag theme that interests me as well. I have a friend that drew up a theme of naked women for this stock. The naked women theme looks kind of nice but might be too much.

Regardless, I'm still milling over ideas for a airbrush theme on this stock.

Anyone out there had this kind of finish done to their stocks?

Any ideas for a airbrush theme on this target rig?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #2

l love this kind of stuff, i actually have this on my truck. its kinda hard to do, it took me six, or seven repaints of my hood to get it. you can you tube it for some how to videos, but you can get dvd's which is what i ended up doing. this is not cheap either. between the air brushes, and paint i spent 3,000 to get started. i am working on getting a hot rod shop going, that is the only reason i spent so much. but i think this would look pretty bitchin on a bench rifle. look into a custom car shop for pricing, probably around $500 would be my guess. if i were you i would go for it! keep us posted!

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky0331 View Post
l love this kind of stuff, i actually have this on my truck. its kinda hard to do, it took me six, or seven repaints of my hood to get it. you can you tube it for some how to videos, but you can get dvd's which is what i ended up doing. this is not cheap either. between the air brushes, and paint i spent 3,000 to get started. i am working on getting a hot rod shop going, that is the only reason i spent so much. but i think this would look pretty bitchin on a bench rifle. look into a custom car shop for pricing, probably around $500 would be my guess. if i were you i would go for it! keep us posted!
In the phone conversation with Killer Paint, they said the price would be about $550.00 for the True Fire paint scheme. So your guess is near right. Lettering would cost more. I have a couple of older Paasche airbrushes that I havn't used for many years. Also I didn't then and especially now have the skill level for this kind of work. Plus, they make a whole lot nicer airbrushes now compaired to way back when.

Regardless, I have time to figure out what I want painted on this stock and hope I come across some new ideas to mill over before I make a decision on theme.

My daughter was just over and dug out some of my older Borris Vallejo calenders and found a fire breathing dragon being held back with a spiked chain by a scantly atired amazon type woman. Very nice. I could have the Woman and dragon on the butt of the rifle through the pistol grip and the dragons belching fire through the forestock. Just another thought though.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #4

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I'd go with the whole 'Rain Forest' theme. Liked the frog, chameleon and especially the boa! Throw in some lighting and your ready to shake up the range!

Name:  RAIN_FOREST__4_.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  14.3 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  12.7 KB

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I'd go with the whole 'Rain Forest' theme. Liked the frog, chameleon and especially the boa! Throw in some lighting and your ready to shake up the range!

Attachment 5988

Attachment 5989
Boa and lighting good. This company does some good work I have to admit.

I'm sure and confident that what ever I decide I'll be happy with this outfit's work.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Go here and check them out from mild to wild.

6mmbr.com Rifle of the week

Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #7

Any updates on the paint job??

Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #8

Got the barreled blue printed reciever assemebly back from Krieger about a month late. Have sent the barreled action with the detachable magazine bottom metal, Jewell trigger,and other parts to McMillan Stocks about a week ago for fitting, inletting, bedding, and final assembly complete. McMillan wont be done with their work until March 2010 at the earliest since I missed the date I had planned to have it there. So no stock to have air brushed yet. I'm still leaneng toward the Boris Vallejo scantly clad amazon woman with fire breathing dragon on chain and the naked ladies themes. But, actually havent decided yet, and my friend did scetch a few more naked lady themes for this rifle which are quite interesting.

Will keep you informed when I have this stock air brushed. First, however, when I get the rifle back, I'll be posting some range reports and a project write up before I send the stock off to be painted with a theme. My thoughts now is that I'll shoot if for a couple of months or so before I have this air brush work done.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #9

Outstanding... Thank you. Can't wait to see the finished product.