10/22 reciever and barrel polishing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Engraving & Refinishing > 10/22 reciever and barrel polishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 10/22 reciever and barrel polishing

so i have recently built a 10/22 and i am happy with it, aside from the dull gray finish on the receiver and barrel. the barrel is from Clark custom guns and is made of ACTUAL stainless steel unlike the ruger receiver. my main question is, if i strip off the paint from the receiver what type of finish will it polish to? will it be similar to the straight stainless of the barrel when both are polished? do you guys think i can work at it enough to make them match?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2771 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

I don't remember if the receiver is some type of aluminum, but if it is, prepare to apply some coating within minutes (less than 15). Aluminum starts oxidating quickly. Though not deep, it does require some extra care.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #3

Liked 319 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 260

The aluminum alloy receiver would take on a smooth "chromed" look if highly polished. I doubt that it would closely match your stainless barrel. You might consider having the receiver bead blasted to remove the paint and then protect it with a "clear coat". That would leave more of a satin finish similar to (but not matching) your SS barrel.

Or - you could always just purchase a stainless receiver.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #4

purchasing a new reciever is very tempting, i did a quick search and found a number of CNC machined recievered in a wide price range.

but what can i do with the old reciever? i have no problem getting the new reciever transferred into my name, but what then?

Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #5

Liked 319 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Well........... Build ANOTHER rifle maybe???

Nah! On second thought - just send it to me so that I can properly dispose of it for you. No charge. Really!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #6

Liked 100 Times on 64 Posts

If you refinish the aluminum receiver with the same type and grit finish as your barrel, they will match very well.
Bare aluminum scratches easily, but otherwise requires no special care. I have guns that have had bare aluminum frames for 20 years, and they haven't oxidized yet.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
If you refinish the aluminum receiver with the same type and grit finish as your barrel, they will match very well.
Bare aluminum scratches easily, but otherwise requires no special care. I have guns that have had bare aluminum frames for 20 years, and they haven't oxidized yet.
i got a B in chemistry, but i thought that bare aluminum reacted nearly instantaneousely with oxygen in the air and oxidized right when you polish the old oxidation off. apparently this is due to passivation: Passivation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so, i may just have to give it a shot with some of the aluminum we have laying around and see how it polishes out compared to a section of barrel that is covered by the stock.

THANKS!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #8

Liked 100 Times on 64 Posts

Aluminum is self passivating, but the aluminum oxide layer is very thin and it looks just like raw aluminum. Stainless steels work the same way.