Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Sponsor Display > Sponsor Display > Honest comments and opinions wanted...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
they would be nice for short term storage but personally i like my slide forward to relieve strain and ware on my springs so i myself would stick to my trigger locks.

Here is one you will be fighting in the marketplace. Guys wont want the slides locked back. It is a misconception that springs weaken from being compressed (they weaken from compression and expansion cycles) but you wont be able to overcome the inertia (no pun intended) of the gun owners.

Several opinions that I agree with in the thread though; no individual gun locks in my house either. Useless items in my opinion. In some sort of gun safe or on your body are the two options.

Not an affront to you or your efforts, just being honest.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #12

Default Thanks for asking!

Welcome to FTF, I would not use a lock that wouldn't allow me to keep the slide closed, for the dust & lint reason offered earlier by some one else, and I as well think you should modify the design to allow the slide to be at rest, BUTT . . I also think that you should try to market this idea to the Arms MFG's out there after you change it to a closed slide version of course.
Overall I like your design though!

N.D.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #13

Default Interesting!

It's an idea with a lot of merit. Might be something that can get some legs under it as a manufacturer-included product if, of course, the price is right. I'd love to talk with you more about the product.

I can see people's points about the whole "slide closed" and "keep my gun loaded" thing, but at the same time, for some people transporting a pistol or rifle in a less than gun-friendly state or county, or without a concealed permit, this might be a great product to keep around!

Just my thoughts.

You, sir, have been Private Messaged.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
The problem is, here in Texas we keep our guns loaded and ready. There's nothing more useless than a locked gun when its urgently needed.
The problem with gun locks even from from my point of view is they're a hindrance to the people that trust themselves and they're family with said firearms. I figure every user on this forum including myself has a minimum of 5 firearms and at least 10 years of experience in safe handling and shooting.

Now that being said, in the last few years more firearms have been bought by first time buyers then ever before. These first time buyers have minimal firearm experience, they bought those firearms because of some kind of fear. Be it the change in power in the white house or just feeling generally unprepared for the worst possible situation. These people are my target demographic, they bought a firearm on a whim and now its sitting somewhere unattended, loaded and possibly forgotten.

This is very factual and a little scary to be honest.

Personally I have a big beautiful environmentally controlled gunsafe to keep my firearms in, but when I transport a firearm to the range or to the smith. Their individually locked in a locked container, because I live in an unfriendly to gun owners state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
An innovative idea, for sure. I hope they do well for you.

Now, my thoughts:

Trigger locks come with most NIB firearms and for the most part can be used on several different makes. A trigger lock also allows for the action to be closed. I prefer this as to limit dust, lint and whatnot into the action. Just personal preference.

Now, if you could get some mfrs to use these as the main lock that comes with the gun, then you could do well. Better yet, get the few places that make it manadatory for a lock on a stored firearm to adopt them as an acceptable lock option.

Just my .02 that should be counted as .01
Trigger locks are an interesting prospective on firearm safety. Especially considering how easy they are to defeat as well as keep a loaded firearm with a lock on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
I think I would put a patent and copyright on those then contact the firearms manufactures and try to secure a contract. I don't think there is much if any of a market for locks in the civilian market. You might need to hire a .
Thanks for the comment, the patent# is US 7,543,403 and it is already copyrighten. I am the inventor and have been working with a marketing agent off an on for about a month. Just wanted to get some better perspectives from real people, instead of biased family and friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Here is one you will be fighting in the marketplace. Guys wont want the slides locked back. It is a misconception that springs weaken from being compressed (they weaken from compression and expansion cycles) but you wont be able to overcome the inertia (no pun intended) of the gun owners.

Several opinions that I agree with in the thread though; no individual gun locks in my house either. Useless items in my opinion. In some sort of gun safe or on your body are the two options.

Not an affront to you or your efforts, just being honest.
Thank you for the honesty, that is why I love firearm owners. They are the few real people left on this earth, I always expect honesty and I have never been disappointed by fellow gun owners. I have always gotten logical and thought out comments from people like yourself and I thank you again for all your comments.

I have been fighting this whole spring compression thing for years it seems. People don't care about facts, they care about what they're father told them or what they think logically makes sense to them. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I take no offense in someones opinion and never will, that is what separates us

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshX3Magazine View Post
It's an idea with a lot of merit. Might be something that can get some legs under it as a manufacturer-included product if, of course, the price is right. I'd love to talk with you more about the product.

I can see people's points about the whole "slide closed" and "keep my gun loaded" thing, but at the same time, for some people transporting a pistol or rifle in a less than gun-friendly state or county, or without a concealed permit, this might be a great product to keep around!

Just my thoughts.

You, sir, have been Private Messaged.

Josh
Thank you Josh, I will email you back later today or tomorrow. Just had to catch up with the rest of the gentleman on this site first. Speak to you soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To anyone I missed, thank you none the less for taking the time to leave comments. Both positive and negative, they're all a great help to me. Have a nice day...

Ryan Schaefer
ryan@thefmsl.com
http://www.thefmsl.com/

Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Greetings Ryan!

I honestly believe you have good quality "niche product" in the making. Stay with it and promote it. You'll be glad you did.

Mark

Old 02-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #16

Default hmm

id rather gun proof my kids than kid proof my guns

Old 03-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #17

Sorry, it is a product that I would not use. With the exception of cabinate firearms, all mine are loaded and ready to use!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think that it would be a great tool for people on the go (meaning travelers going through states that don't allow loaded weapons to be transported) or even the vendors at a gun show. For home security I think it would flunk out seeing how home protection needs a readily accessed firearm instead of jumping through a bunch of hoops to get your gun. Honestly you can't tell the perp that just broke into your house to hold on for a sec!, and as far as the big company theory a lot of them are designing trigger locks right onto the gun. So I would market it as a travel lock or display lock. Sorry to be blunt, you wanted thoughts why sugar coat them. Good luck with your product and i hope you make it.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #19

Liked 1681 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

I don't use gun locks myself. Either they are in the safe or loaded and ready to use. But that does look like a nice product. There probably is a market in some of the more restrictive states that require guns to be locked. Good luck with that. Seriously, I hope it works out for you.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave View Post
id rather gun proof my kids than kid proof my guns
Perfectly stated.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Tags
gunlock, lock, magazine, patented, safety