Collector Software Version 2.5.4 now available
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Sponsor Display > Sponsor Display > Collector Software Version 2.5.4 now available

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Collector Software Version 2.5.4 now available

NM Collector Software Version 2.5.4 now available. Pease consider if you are willing to Like NM Collector Software on facebook and encourage friends to do so as well!

Changes since version 2.5.2

* Added Database Encryption option for those who prefer for the application to encrypt the database.
* Reformatted the tree view buttons to make their functions more obvious.

* Added easy way to Brand Software.
* Changed Splash Screen and About Screen for Branding.

Here is a link to a screen capture of the new User Interface.

Here is an imbedded image of the same screen capture:

Thanks!

Last edited by nmCollector; 03-29-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Is it still free?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Free NM Collector Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Is it still free?
Thanks for asking. I take it you are using the free version of NM Collector Software and are concerned that you might lose it with the upgrade. You will not lose the free version with the upgrade. However, depending on how long ago you started using yours, I did make some changes in what is and what is not in the free version so you might want to review that by clicking the link later in this message.

For those who do not know, all features are available for 30 days. After that if not activated it reverts to a less functional but free version. My 15 year old son says I provide too much for free but I want it to be functional. You can find the details here:

http://www.nmcollectorsoftware.com/downloads/

Thanks,

Clay

Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's a great program and I suggest anyone who needs or wants a good database, and doesn't want to pay some of the ridiculous prices for other programs out there, check it out. It's great for anyone with a c&r too.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default NM Collector Software and C&R licensed collectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
It's a great program and I suggest anyone who needs or wants a good database, and doesn't want to pay some of the ridiculous prices for other programs out there, check it out. It's great for anyone with a c&r too.
Thanks mountainman13. I appreciate the good words. I am concerned that others may be confused when they read your message so I thought I better make sure some things are clear.

1. NM Gun Collector Software is fully functional and very good for C&R collectors. I now offer it completely free to some groups including firearmstalk members. It can be downloaded from here: Free Gun Collection Inventory Database Software

2. The free version of NM Collector Software is certainly adquate for keeping basic records of C&R firearms for licensed collectors. However, it will be difficult to print the bound book (A&D reports) necessary for a licensed collector with the free version because the Aquisition and Disposition tabs are disabled in the free version.

3. The activated version of NM Collector Software is adequate for C&R licensed collectors because the Aquisition and Disposition tabs are available so there is data for the A&D reports.

Thanks again!

Clay

Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
3. The activated version of NM Collector Software is adequate for C&R licensed collectors because the Aquisition and Disposition tabs are available so there is data for the A&D reports.
That's only if they actually physically print a report out or contact ATF for permission since it doesn't meet ATF requirements for a digital only bound book, right? Just wanted to make sure people don't get confused -- wouldn't want a C&R to get an ATF inspection and realize they aren't complying with the law, that's all.

Last edited by Wolfrage; 04-05-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

They would be required to get permission from the atf to use the program ahead of time.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default NM Collector Software Intentionally is not an ATF digital bound book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrage View Post
That's only if they actually physically print a report out or contact ATF for permission since it doesn't meet ATF requirements for a digital only bound book, right? Just wanted to make sure people don't get confused -- wouldn't want a C&R to get an ATF inspection and realize they aren't complying with the law, that's all.
Disclaimer: I am not an attourney so I am not offering legal advice.

Wolfrage, thanks for the clarification. You are correct. NM Collector Software "doesn't meet ATF requirements for a digital only bound book" as I understand them. This is intentional based on my understanding of the following excerpt of the latest ruling on the subject that I am aware of:
All data entered into the computer system must be recorded into the database and cannot be capable of being edited or modified at a later date without generating an audit trail. The software system must retain any correction of errors as an entirely new entry, without deleting or modifying the original entry. The system may allow for entries in a notes column to explain any correction.
The above rule was extracted from http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2008-2.pdf. Perhaps this is not the latest ruling on the subject. I am certainly open to learning if there is something new on this topic.

I intentionally chose NOT to do that with NM Collector Software because most freedom loving Americans I know do not want an audit trail kept of every change they make to entries in their electronic records. I do not think they want to expose themselves to having their audit trail inspected by a government agent who may or may not be there "to help" them.

Also, given the BATFE definition for a "Bound Book" (found here) you can print a C&R report from NM Collector Software and assemble the pages to make up your bound book.

I could be wrong so perhaps a good topic for a survey would be how many gun owners on this forum want their software to keep an audit trail of every change they make in their bound book records so that an ATF agent can audit their changes.

Thanks,

Clay

p.s. Wolfrage, you are free to comment on any of my posts on this forum. I will not accuse you of trying to hijack my threads. However, in my opinion (I do not pretend to represent the forum owners or moderators in this statement), you should consider supporting the forum as a vendor if you are going to advertise your software in your .sig. I see that there are open spaces for advertisers. Just a suggestion.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
I intentionally chose NOT to do that with NM Collector Software because most freedom loving Americans I know do not want an audit trail kept of every change they make to entries in their electronic records. I do not think they want to expose themselves to having their audit trail inspected by a government agent who may or may not be there "to help" them.
While I can't understand your reasoning, I wasn't making a dig against your program in the slightest, so please don't take it that way -- there's nothing wrong with printing out your A&D report every time you make a change if that's what a user wants to do (well, aside from killing trees hehe) as it'd be just like a normal bound book . I was just pointing out that they had to print their report if they're a C&R or get permission from the ATF beforehand.

And yep, already have my submission in.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default No offense taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrage View Post
While I can't understand your reasoning, I wasn't making a dig against your program in the slightest, so please don't take it that way -- there's nothing wrong with printing out your A&D report every time you make a change if that's what a user wants to do (well, aside from killing trees hehe) as it'd be just like a normal bound book . I was just pointing out that they had to print their report if they're a C&R or get permission from the ATF beforehand.

And yep, already have my submission in.
I did not think you were taking a dig at my software. I was just explaining my reasoning for not seeking to meet BATFE electronic bound book requirements. My explanation is and has been published on my web site on the Sample Screen Shots | Firearms Inventory Software page but it is somewhat hidden so not everybody sees it.

You may not understand my reasoning but keep in mind that Waco, Ruby Ridge and the Clinton campaign against FFL holders were still fresh on everybody's minds when I started making my gun collecting software available to gun collectors many years ago. FFL businesses are willing to accept the BATFE requirements for electronic bound books but I am providing a service to individual collectors who do not see things the same way as businesses.

Thanks,

Clay