Can you help me improve NM Collector Software?
It's time to plan my next release of NM Collector Software and I am looking for suggestions.
One of the biggest things I plan to work on is the whole Clear, Revert, Keep and Write buttons strategy. I took that approach based on feedback from users of my old NM Gun Collector software. That package automatically saved every change that was made. Well, I had people complain that changes they did not intend to make were saved. They wanted some way to prevent that from happening. So, I came with the current approach used in NM Collector Software.
Of course, some people love it while others hate it. I'm beginning to think I may have been better off with the old approach. So, in my next release, I am going to revisit how and when data is saved to disk. I'm thinking of making the current approach an option that people can use if they like it or not use if they don't like it. I'm thinking the default should be to automatically save the data when it is changed and skip the whole Clear, Revert, Keep and Write approach.
What do you think?
Please send me your thoughts on this and any other suggestions you might have.
Food for Additional Thought and Discussion
Features for Next Release of NM Collector Software
* Digitally sign all installations and executables with Certificate from Certification Authority (in progress now).
* Auto save (write to disk) option with customer specified time interval.
* Auto backup option with customer specified time interval.
* Auto update option to keep changes automatically when changed.
* Comment fields for receipt and disposition.
* Adjust activation message on splash screen - no need to request activation when you have a lifetime activation!
* Option to exclude "Container Folder" only items from reports. There is the ability to just create folders in the tree view to hold other items. These folders can also be items themselves. Need flag to determin if folder is an item that should show in the reports or just a container for other items only.
* If click Delete button a warning should come up asking "are you sure you want to Delete this item." Alternative - Trash folder with the option to empty it?
* Revisit Android and iOS interfaces.
* Make export / import processes consistent.
* Remove "android" from export / import menu items or make a separate iOS menu items.
* Put button to Satisitics page in more locations.
* Right click for paste to notes and comments fields.
* Replace "Keep" and "Write" buttons with a single "Save" button.
* "Keep" saves current changes to memory.
* "Write" saves all data to disk.
* Option: List View alternative to Tree View.
* Sort in Tree View - and/or - List View.
* More flexible date entry format.
Suggestions Still Under Consideration:
* Option: Auto hide collections with no data. Allow for showing if decide to enter data.
* Link items from one collection type to another. For example, link ammo to firearms.
* Print a Range Card for any particular weapon to go to the range. "Items like numbers of rounds fired, failures, temp, wind condtions, location etc would be great. Then when you come back if you could enter the info into a file by date you have a history of the weapon in question. Also if you could assign ammunition to a firearm so when you enter in your number of shots fired, it automatically adjusts your quantity for that lot of ammunition when you enter in your range card results."
* Insurance Inventory Report sorted by Serial Number to make it easier to look up items. NOTE: can use "find" button for this, or sort by Serial Number in Statistics window, or export current Insurance Inventory Report to Excel (or Open Office) to sort however you like.
* Load multiple pictures at once. Why not enable drag and drop? Can we see thumbnails when adding pictures?
* Bulk Deletes.
* Ability to print pictures individually.
* Report with 4 pictures per page.
* Filter / Find in Stats window.
* Improved check for update. NOTE: I do not want to automate this because I do not want the system accessing the internet unless specifically told to do so. May add a check for update button or menu item.
* Maintenance Due Report.
* Report Wizard to build custom reports - selected fields, sort order, filter, etc.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.