Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > you are on the far side of 50. do you bug out or stay and ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Will be 59 next month. I have worked hard to have my BIL (bug in location) situated where I can stay put. Established garden, fruit trees, well, minor livestock, minor solar and wind power and a small but very energy efficent cabin. Also have a relatively strong local "co-op" of like minded folks, with many skills.

BUT, I have bug out capabilities as well. It will take a lot to up-root me from here, but if the need arises, I have that option.

Jimmy

Make sure your not someone's PITA....

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Old 03-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #32

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm 62, in good shape and adequately prepared to either stay or go. But after spending nearly 40yrs, with my wife, on our homestead we both agree on staying and defending our property to the end.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #33

Liked 348 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
Opinions please.......... I;m fast approaching 67 and intend to stay home no matter what comes.
I'm with you, Wid. Too old to run, too much to carry, no place to run to. What little I have and I are staying right here.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #34

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

You don't have to run far, but staying in or near visible buildings will just be suicide, if things fall apart. By having some cached goodies and staying out of sight, you greatly increase your chances of making it thru shtf.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 912 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 373

I'm on the near side of 30 and if SHTF, I'm not planning on going anywhere.

Why would you leave everything you worked so hard to gain?

Natural disasters are one thing, but civil unrest is not a reason to run off into the wilderness, in my opinion. A few bad actors have not and will not outnumber those of us who don't want to destroy civilization for some short term profit.

If a nuke goes off in your neighborhood, then yeah, if you're still alive you need to leave so you stay that way.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #36

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Im in until we either run out of supplies or fuel . I have a good supply of fuel, food, and water stored up . 175 gal of fuel , 5200 gal of water and roughly 60 days worth of 3 meals a day for 4 . Cut that to 2 meals a day and we can stretch that further . I have a couple places to go within 6 miles by water with a entry point just 3 block from my house or 8 miles by road / bicycle by but it would be a primitive lifestyle which im not sure my family is ready for . It has water , materials to build a shelter as it was a old dump site for several farmers with plenty of fish and game there . I live in a pretty quite neighborhood , older folks community so I dont expect much unrest .Im 41 , I should be able to go any where but I have bad knees and one wrong twist or fall and im in a very bad situation .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-28-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #37

Liked 1088 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I will be leaving my home belly-up. I scrimped and saved for many years to build my home. I passed on fancy boats, cars or women and other fun toys. I chose not to live in a sub-division or an apartment and worked to that end. I am here to stay. I am past 60, but I am tougher than any of the young men that work with me; they are a bunch of slaves to social media, poorly educated, (even though some have degrees) and just plain wimpy. These guys couldn't do sustained, hard work if their lives depended on it. (bugging out would be hard, sustained work)

There is no place, that I could go, that is better supplied or easier to protect than my home. I don't have to hump anything, I don't have to travel, and everything is within reach. People on the move are only moving targets. If there were a total breakdown of society, and you aren't already living in your "bunker", then you will probably never reach it. Besides, I would rather die trying to keep something than trying to take something.

I believe that the great end of society lives in the minds of people raised on movies rather than realism. Anyone who has studied history realizes that we are living in good times, not the end of the world as we know it. Sure, the economy is slowly recovering from a slump; it runs in cycles. Big whoop. People revolt when the food runs out, not when they don't like the current president.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #38

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I will also stay and fight to the end. I've accumulated enough provisions to sustain my family for at least a month, then hunting, trapping and fishing will have to suffice. The only thing that worries me is a few well placed Molotov cocktails could be our undoing.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 305 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 595

When I first posted this question in Feb. 2013 I was just about 32 days from losing my wife to cancer.
I had said I wasn't going to bug out because of my age and health. Now I won't leave because I don't have any reason to go anywhere.
I truly hope this nation never experiences situations that makes that decision necessary.
Just remember folks," pray for the best but prepare for the worst."

zephyr 5 to roscoe 3

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.