Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > you are on the far side of 50. do you bug out or stay and ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5779 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 10933

This is my home. I share it with my wife and children. Nothing short of contamination could drive me away. Any kind of SHTF, end of days, Armageddon, apocalypse, anarchist situation... I am staying. And I am 35.

No offense and none taken

People Like This 
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #22

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
This is my home. I share it with my wife and children. Nothing short of contamination could drive me away. Any kind of SHTF, end of days, Armageddon, apocalypse, anarchist situation... I am staying. And I am 35.
Really that is the most important thing. It's the home for you and your family.
I might be more inclined ot leave if I was in the burbs or some city. But being I"m out in the sticks and I really do love my home I have no intention to leave it. And have taken steps to help me

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

dango Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #23

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I just turned 58, and if the SHTF I plan on staying where I am if at all possible. Although I am in good health and physical shape, I have no inclination to run around the boonies with a pack and a rifle. I now live in a rural area, have a well for water, and a basement stocked with canned goods and freeze dried food and a collection of guns and ammo it would take a team of Sherpas to carry around.

I'll just sit on the porch smoking a good cigar, picking them off until they get me.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #24

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret
These are some of the questions, but not all, that should be answered yes before you attempt to bug out; first it depends on where you are located, do you have a layed out and tested plan with primary and alternate routes, do you have a bug out location, will your bug out location be any safer, do you have a bug out bag prepared, do you have cash on hand, do you have weapons and ammo at the ready, do you have fuel set aside, sufficient supply of medications and most of all are you physically able to fend for yourself and family. If you can't answer yes to all the basic needs, I would hunker down and prepare my house as a fortress and make plans on how to best defend your location 24/7.

I never thought that we would be faced with possible national unrest, but we can expect sort of civil unrest in the very near future. Hey, you are a young guy, I am on the other side of 75 and ready to fight if necessary.

I live in SE Florida and it will be next to impossible to bug out based on past hurricane evacuations. If I find it necessary to bug out it will be by boat and head east 40 or so miles to the nearest island.

Note: I can answer yes to the above questions
Chuck I tried to send you a pm but it failed. Had a question about leaving by boat. 1 million in population leaving via 3 bridges and a failing interstate doesn't leave too many options.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

dango Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2717 Times on 1593 Posts
Likes Given: 16663

If worst case scenario , make it a well armed boat at night...!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #26

Liked 169 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yes, it would be next to impossible to evacuate by the highway system. I have a neighbor that has a 41 ft Sport Fisherman and if the SHTF we will evacuate east by boat to the Bahama's and onward if necessary. We have placed some supplies on the boat but will depend on four bug out bags. The marina is one block from our houses and the inlet about a mile from the marina and no bridges that would impede passage.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

dango Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #27

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I have decided against bugging out by boat.
Most houses are not defensible as bullets pass right thru and they offer poor fields of fire. Plus most are susceptible to burning(fire). Fire would be the big enemy in most locations. In cities and suburbs fire could easily take out several blocks(even if your house isn't targeted). In rural areas wildfires might not burn your house(if you planned ahead!) but the smoke could make it unlivable for a period of time.
Everyone should have a bug-out plan even if you plan to stay in your home.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #28

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I have decided against bugging out by boat.
Most houses are not defensible as bullets pass right thru and they offer poor fields of fire. Plus most are susceptible to burning(fire). Fire would be the big enemy in most locations. In cities and suburbs fire could easily take out several blocks(even if your house isn't targeted). In rural areas wildfires might not burn your house(if you planned ahead!) but the smoke could make it unlivable for a period of time.
Everyone should have a bug-out plan even if you plan to stay in your home.
My brother owns a fire suppression company and has installed a sprinkler system in my house. It also has what they call a water curtain on the two sides and on the roof because our houses are too close together. We can draft from a well if the water is turned off. The smoke would be bad in situations in the summer if there is no power and have to have windows open.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Old 03-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 290 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Ummm, is it just me that noticed or did the OP answer his question in his original post?

If yer gonna stay put then why are you asking us?
I know what I'm going to do. I was just asking what everyone else thought about bugging out or digging in.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

Last edited by widowmaker; 03-04-2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #30
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1659 Times on 904 Posts
Likes Given: 529

We are in our 70's in pretty decent health but bugging out is not a good option for us. We live in a somewhat isolated very small but heavily armed city with a very high senior population. There would be little to zero chance of resupply in a collapse. It will be very rough on the people that need meds to survive. We know who is able and is reliable. A lot of us are old but very active and have some resources. Our main concern is if a collapse catches us while we are on the road with our RV. It is also our lifeboat if the power goes down.
No individuals are going to be able to defend a home for any length of time and as mentioned earlier homes are usually not very defendable. It will take a team so if you dont have one get one. Make some friends with able bodied people that would be willing to organize for protection and pool resources.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.