Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > you are on the far side of 50. do you bug out or stay and ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 307 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 601

Default you are on the far side of 50. do you bug out or stay and ?

Opinions please.......... I;m fast approaching 67 and intend to stay home no matter what comes.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

IMO depends on location. Also how quite you can be. I have seen many experts say after 3 months most everyone that is going to die will be dead. So you could be quite wait for the settle then move out. But it comes down to what you think. Make a plan and don't hesitate.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #3

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why? Do you have a reason for "Holing up" ? Hell, they are saying 72 in this generation is the new 30 year old. If you are healthy keep on running ahead of the hounds. The one thing for sure is when you set down they will tree you for the last time.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 307 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 601

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Why? Do you have a reason for "Holing up" ? Hell, they are saying 72 in this generation is the new 30 year old. If you are healthy keep on running ahead of the hounds. The one thing for sure is when you set down they will tree you for the last time.
Who is "they"? I haven't felt 30 since I was 30. Like Will Rogers said:" Ive been over a lot of roads and most of them were unpaved".
The old bod just isn't up to strapping on a 65 lb. pack and humping for the hills.
Wife and I have been prepping for years just as a matter of survival since we live on a fixed income. Throughout the years I have traded and bartered for things like generators, welding equipment, reloading stuff, etc....so I think we will be OK.
I hope everyone has a plan for the next couple of years because I think its going to get tough.Personally, we have almost everything to get by for several months. I also have connections with oldtimers like myself that won't put up with a bunch of crap from mauraders.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

People Like This 
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #5

Liked 4549 Times on 2200 Posts
Likes Given: 1355

I see your concern. Thought I'd still be able to take off, doing so with my 2 younger children, 2 & 4, would not be feasible.

I'm hoping we make it 1 more decade so their at least big enough to be "self propelled".

Tack

Old 02-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #6

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Yep, 72 is the new 30 year old. Problem is the new retirement age is 107.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7741 Times on 4472 Posts
Likes Given: 9991

Ummm, is it just me that noticed or did the OP answer his question in his original post?

If yer gonna stay put then why are you asking us?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
dango Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19871 Times on 11287 Posts
Likes Given: 50095

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Yep, 72 is the new 30 year old. Problem is the new retirement age is 107.
thanks Nitestalker! nice to know i still have 57 years before i can retire!

i think bugging out or staying may be more dependent upon individual circumstances rather than age. just my thoughts.

with where i live, and it's just the wife and i here, but my father and brother and his family live pretty close, i am pretty sure we would opt to stay where we are.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #9

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

These are some of the questions, but not all, that should be answered yes before you attempt to bug out; first it depends on where you are located, do you have a layed out and tested plan with primary and alternate routes, do you have a bug out location, will your bug out location be any safer, do you have a bug out bag prepared, do you have cash on hand, do you have weapons and ammo at the ready, do you have fuel set aside, sufficient supply of medications and most of all are you physically able to fend for yourself and family. If you can't answer yes to all the basic needs, I would hunker down and prepare my house as a fortress and make plans on how to best defend your location 24/7.

I never thought that we would be faced with possible national unrest, but we can expect sort of civil unrest in the very near future. Hey, you are a young guy, I am on the other side of 75 and ready to fight if necessary.

I live in SE Florida and it will be next to impossible to bug out based on past hurricane evacuations. If I find it necessary to bug out it will be by boat and head east 40 or so miles to the nearest island.

Note: I can answer yes to the above questions

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by chuckusaret; 02-28-2013 at 05:20 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 521 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 2278

I am 74.
Bug out???
Where???
Live just se of los angeles.
Some good folks live nearby,
but mostly the young gangsta types,
and sadly,
some older guys wanting to be a young gangsta.
My Granddaughter has a plan,
She will come up and pick me up and we will hole up at my Sons home.
Sounds good,
not practical.
Probably,
if it comes down to "it"
Will go out in a pile of empty brass.

Last edited by shadecorp; 02-28-2013 at 04:30 PM.
People Like This