Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   you are on the far side of 50. do you bug out or stay and ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/you-far-side-50-do-you-bug-out-stay-85385/)

widowmaker 02-28-2013 02:43 AM

you are on the far side of 50. do you bug out or stay and ?

Opinions please.......... I;m fast approaching 67 and intend to stay home no matter what comes.

hmh 02-28-2013 02:52 AM

IMO depends on location. Also how quite you can be. I have seen many experts say after 3 months most everyone that is going to die will be dead. So you could be quite wait for the settle then move out. But it comes down to what you think. Make a plan and don't hesitate.

nitestalker 02-28-2013 02:53 AM

Why? Do you have a reason for "Holing up" ? Hell, they are saying 72 in this generation is the new 30 year old. If you are healthy keep on running ahead of the hounds. The one thing for sure is when you set down they will tree you for the last time.:eek:

widowmaker 02-28-2013 04:28 AM

?
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1157375)
Why? Do you have a reason for "Holing up" ? Hell, they are saying 72 in this generation is the new 30 year old. If you are healthy keep on running ahead of the hounds. The one thing for sure is when you set down they will tree you for the last time.:eek:

Who is "they"? I haven't felt 30 since I was 30. Like Will Rogers said:" Ive been over a lot of roads and most of them were unpaved".
The old bod just isn't up to strapping on a 65 lb. pack and humping for the hills.
Wife and I have been prepping for years just as a matter of survival since we live on a fixed income. Throughout the years I have traded and bartered for things like generators, welding equipment, reloading stuff, etc....so I think we will be OK.
I hope everyone has a plan for the next couple of years because I think its going to get tough.Personally, we have almost everything to get by for several months. I also have connections with oldtimers like myself that won't put up with a bunch of crap from mauraders.

Tackleberry1 02-28-2013 04:41 AM

I see your concern. Thought I'd still be able to take off, doing so with my 2 younger children, 2 & 4, would not be feasible.

I'm hoping we make it 1 more decade so their at least big enough to be "self propelled".

Tack

nitestalker 02-28-2013 04:45 AM

Yep, 72 is the new 30 year old. Problem is the new retirement age is 107.:eek:

Vikingdad 02-28-2013 04:56 AM

Ummm, is it just me that noticed or did the OP answer his question in his original post?

If yer gonna stay put then why are you asking us?

Axxe55 02-28-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1157537)
Yep, 72 is the new 30 year old. Problem is the new retirement age is 107.:eek:

thanks Nitestalker! nice to know i still have 57 years before i can retire!:mad:

i think bugging out or staying may be more dependent upon individual circumstances rather than age. just my thoughts.

with where i live, and it's just the wife and i here, but my father and brother and his family live pretty close, i am pretty sure we would opt to stay where we are.

chuckusaret 02-28-2013 05:18 AM

These are some of the questions, but not all, that should be answered yes before you attempt to bug out; first it depends on where you are located, do you have a layed out and tested plan with primary and alternate routes, do you have a bug out location, will your bug out location be any safer, do you have a bug out bag prepared, do you have cash on hand, do you have weapons and ammo at the ready, do you have fuel set aside, sufficient supply of medications and most of all are you physically able to fend for yourself and family. If you can't answer yes to all the basic needs, I would hunker down and prepare my house as a fortress and make plans on how to best defend your location 24/7.

I never thought that we would be faced with possible national unrest, but we can expect sort of civil unrest in the very near future. Hey, you are a young guy, I am on the other side of 75 and ready to fight if necessary.

I live in SE Florida and it will be next to impossible to bug out based on past hurricane evacuations. If I find it necessary to bug out it will be by boat and head east 40 or so miles to the nearest island.

Note: I can answer yes to the above questions

shadecorp 02-28-2013 04:25 PM

I am 74.
Bug out???
Where???
Live just se of los angeles.
Some good folks live nearby,
but mostly the young gangsta types,
and sadly,
some older guys wanting to be a young gangsta.
My Granddaughter has a plan,
She will come up and pick me up and we will hole up at my Sons home.
Sounds good,
not practical.
Probably,
if it comes down to "it"
Will go out in a pile of empty brass.