Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > You and 140 million other people wandering the country side.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
What's global warning, Al?
Well it's somehing the government claims is mostly our fault and they are just looking for a way to make more money off us poor saps they rule. Carbon credits and the ilk. It gives Al "somethings wrong with him" Gore something to do. Dont you just like his power point presentations? LOL. Little to no imperical facts to back up he and his cronies one sided BS. Actually, IMO, the warming cycle of the planet is not much more than a natural geolocical event that has occured many times before in geological time of this planets existance. Some time ago I saw geological time climate studies that shows a fairley constant timing of warming and cooling events. It appeared to me that were warming up now because its that time again. Our CO emissions (greenhouse gasses) we produce probably are helping expidite this trend a bit, but not that much and it's going to happen anyhow no matter what we've done or not done or do as a species. One thing that they recently are speculating is that the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs way back when was only the final blow to them becoming extinct. It is speculated, and the proof is mounting daily, they were already falling prey to extinction due to bacteria and viruses that was already plagueing them. The bactiera and viruses that was already killing them off was due to one of these planitary warmrig cycles geologists have known was happening at that time period. Bacteria and viruses seem to thrive and run rampent in warmer climates. That being said, I often wonder and cant help to believe that way up in the governments of the world, beyond the political levels, the few on our planet who call the shots, that they already know this. I think they do! And their just letting the little people (politicians) have a field day with this to keep the rest of us distracted from the real shatty times coming in the next 100 give or take years. I cant remember how it is put in the bible but it says something about famine, pestilence, and plague. It's just mother nature doing her thing.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #22

O.K. the girlfriend says I have to be more specific about these ice age intervels thing. So here goes. The present pattern of ice ages started about 40 million years ago and their frequency of occurance ramped up I believe during the Pleistocene period around I think about 30 million years ago. Since then the glaciation and thaw events occur between 40 to 90 thousand years apart. The last ice age ended about 11,000 years ago. During these 40,000 to 90,000 year galciation and thaw events there are warming and cooling cycles that dont throw the planet into the real deal. However, there has been many mini ice ages as well as climate warming events between the 40,000 to 90,000 year cycles that have wrecked havoc on enviorments and socities. They last from 60 to 250 years or so when they have occured. Usually caused by vulcanism smaller asteroid strikes, and the times the deep ocean currents have stalled between the contents. (Contenental glacier ice breaking up and melting into the oceans) She also wants me to add, that the magnetic field of the planet is known to changes polairty 3 or so times every 1 million years and that the last polairty swap was about 700,000 years ago. So were over due and we, that is the girlfriend and I, believe were in the process of a polairty shift right now. This explains why there is holes in the ozone in and around the southern end and south polar regions of the planet. This is due to the weakening southern magnetic fields of the planet during transition. It allows the ozone and some of the other atmosphere to be litterally be blown away into space by the solar winds (radiation) that bombard the planet that a normally stronger magnetic field would shield it from. When the polairty flip is complete the earths magnetic fields will return to full strength and the ozone will return to its normal levels and the ozone holes will be gone. She says CO and other greenhouse gasses are not the culpert here and that the polarity shift may not become complete until quite some time from now. More UV radiation getting through causing increases of such nasty things as skin cancers and other UV exposure problems. And yes, when this polairty transition is complete, our compasses will point the wrong direction. So let Al Gore put that in his pipe and smoke it. The girlfriend also says that these replys don't belong in this thread. Damn, I think shes right.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-05-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #23

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I only can comment on what I have actually seen in my military career. I think the common theme on these boards is a lot of "what if" scenarios. Here's what I know, strictly observing from a tactical perspective:

1. If you don't have a properly located/defended/manned defensive position, you WILL BE over run. Regardless of weapons or ready ammo. What ever you have horded, will be lost, it is a matter of time that you and yours will be KIA. Holing up in a farm house or a tract home is futile. Without high ground, interlocking fields of fire, etc.....FAIL.

2. Human beings will do anything (and I mean anything) for a morsel when they are starving. No possibility of savagery can be excluded, regardless of demographic factors. A "city" person vs. a "country" person when part of a mob are equally powerful. The mob will be cohesive only until thier common objective (you and your goods/property) have been consumed /destroyed. Cruelty beyond comprehension will reign.

3. When / if you move, you are only as mobile as your slowest group member. You maybe in excellent physical condition, but, if you have a family you will be tactically at a huge disadvantage when attempting to relocate. Small children, spouses, elders will be looked upon as weak links by the wolf pack.

IMHO, there is no one answer to the questions of preparedness based on hypothetical scenarios. Short of forming a well trained unit, skilled in many disciplines, survival is a 50/50 proposition. Even then, the likelyhood of casualties would seem to be evident.

"One can only repel so many boarders".

Let's hope "it" never happens. Prepared or not, we're all in a world of hurt.

regards....SC

Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #24

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

The issue of BOB is critical but has limits you are only as good as your supply
bunkers and fortified defences seem kinda outdated (maginot line syndrome) not many that are resistant to a good Molotoving and some well placed rifle shots off a steady rest (portable shooting bench comes to mind.
Also Escape vehicles seem to come up too, when the time comes your special designated vehicle you dumped thousands of $$ and hours into could shell out a transmission/differental/ ruined tires most likely a drive train componet which leads to the issue of roads and ambushes set up to separate foolish people from all that food & Ammo they are packing round just one shot from a .22 in your radiator and your toast! I remember a Newsweek mag article picture of the Balkans and showed a down hill view of a check point/ambush site with shelterd positions and layerd lines of Sks Armed folks in civilaian garb sitting round smokeing wateing for a PFAT target to roll up for a gleaning, armed people down the road and hidden by terrain, armed men preventing retreat.
Yet its best to be mobile and not a stationary target, lite and mobile and flexable you may just survive.You could kill your self just by just hauling round your extensive pile of stuff you cant live with out, or when its time to cut & run it might slow you down and be picked off as a slow moving/big aka PFAT target.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 03-11-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:34 AM   #25

I seem to think there are a lot of people out there that have their own idea's of what could happen in this ****-n-git situation.... and i see your forgetting a situation that I myself have really thought of happening (THE US MILITARY) sticking their nose into controling your way of survival (Do You Want That ? ) they just might not be liking your way of thinking at all.... After all the government is a controller of the uniformed services and most are very reliant to that system and not you.....I myself aint worried about the planet takin over / But that (@@@@@@) in the white house he's not to be trusted....and he's already proven that to a lot of people / while outher's sit on their thumb''s.... (you know the type ) this is just an OPINION / YOU KNOW HOW OPINION'S ARE !

Old 04-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
And the Super Volcano under Yellowstone may erupt at any minute. That is considered a SHTF scenario. Imagine dark skies for weeks, and a fall out that will coat the country (depending on wind) with feet of ash and debris. You'd better be ready, because some people are.
Anybody read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? Kind of the same post-nuke,post-eruption situation.Fiction ,but made me think

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 AM   #27

One tends to find that not only does fact often follow fiction but that fiction follows facts as well. Vulconoligsts and geologists have studied this area and the super volcano that lies beneth it, and the geology of quite a large area of our continent that it has affected when it has blown off in the past, and its proven out even to them to be beyond belief in its scale. Truley in the realm of surrealistic.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

City people have a sweet, nutty flavor and are much more tender than their country counterparts. While free range is an excellent theory when applied to chicken, it does not apply to the world of cannibalism.

140 million? NOM NOM NOM.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #29

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

Default The trend to global warming

I believe it is warming up at least it has been since the late 1980's in a noticeable way here in the Arctic region of NorthWest Alaska due to accelerated thawing of permafrost slumps and bluff errosion and the drying of shallow lakes (permafrost ice lens underneath them is gone allowing them to drain) and the accelerated growth of willows in traditionly barren coastal plains, the dotted spread of black spruce on these plains as well,the rough & tumble buckling of once smooth plains into a impassable jumble of crack earth and runoff ponds.
To blame is human nature and that cannot be changed the attempt to saddle humans as the key source is ludicris we may contribute (like fleas contributeing to a dry skin rash on a dog)
To date no-one has positively concluded that humans have brought on global warming all on there own, the past gives examples of a global scale warming trend (vikeing colony in greenland) greenland vikeing's had grown barley during the warming trend and they lived in a different more mild climate
the temps went colder and the vikeings couldent sustain themselves by agriculture due to shortend growing seasons and crop failures
well they are now again growing hardy strains of barley in southern greenland
(history repeating itself)
The barrier islands along the western alaska coast are erodeing due to the absence if sea ice during the fall time storms (the pack ice is forced on shore during storms thats how beach ridges are formed, kinda like natures sand & gravel company) the natural warming has reduced the thickness and range of pack ice during the June-October (our boat navigation season in the Chukchi and Beaufort seas) and the wave action during these storms in absence of the pack ice the beach ridges are torn back down and coastal villages like Kivalina and Shishmaref are two widely reported examples of this, the continued errosion of the bluffs of Pt Barrow continue to produce remains of a past culture, preserved bodies are continually falling into the storm lashed seas.
yes global warming exists and yes it wont go away any time soon
the question is how much human activity affects this and Al Gore in his mis informed way has the correct idea on reduceing human controbution to this natural event he has a way of rubbing people the wrong way and has done that in spades and in many ways its counterproductive to what he is trying to accomplish, I think the continued warming phase will continue reguardless of what we do now so its best to ride it out as best we can,
the sea level will continue to rise and costal flooding of shallow plains will continue,
There was a very interesting NPR (national public Radio) article about Indias irrigation practices leading to what is termed a "water overdraft" (when water is removed faster than its replenished hence the banking term overdraft) is on par with whats going on with our nations own aquafer the irrigation of vast areas that were shortgrass prairie lands only 40 years ago(darn centerpivot irrigation systems) .

Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Imo, the best bet'd be to group together with like minded folks, at a place with lots of resources and become self sustaining. That'd be alot easier to defend and survive.

Freedom comes from those who fought for it
USMC, NRA, IDPA-SO, GOA