You and 140 million other people wandering the country side. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > You and 140 million other people wandering the country side.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well that may be so.
Thats why I left a few Millions outa the original figure figureing on some folks staying put, but then there is only so much food to go around things can and do get dice'y, a old Trapper saying its only takes 24hours to change your mind what you would eat (WWII vets remember eating the leather slings).
There will alway's be a element (?criminal??)that will exploit such breakdown of basic civil services, profiteering, extortion, strong arm tactics, it doesent take much (Rodney King riots comes to mind) riots would light off, everybody rushing to get there share before it's all gone.
Hunger can be a great motivater, people that would be normally passive turn bad just look at christmas shopping (Remember cabbage patch dolls when they first came out??) if people go nut's just shopping for a stinkin doll what you think some them socker moms would get all Mogadishu on you in a NewYork minuet with some starvin&ribbey kids to feed!
Not to mention someone having a grudge against you (like your spouses Ex boyfriend/Husband) a neighbor's land dispute, it wouldent take much for people to turn ugly.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
Well that may be so.
Thats why I left a few Millions outa the original figure figureing on some folks staying put, but then there is only so much food to go around things can and do get dice'y, a old Trapper saying its only takes 24hours to change your mind what you would eat (WWII vets remember eating the leather slings).
There will alway's be a element (?criminal??)that will exploit such breakdown of basic civil services, profiteering, extortion, strong arm tactics, it doesent take much (Rodney King riots comes to mind) riots would light off, everybody rushing to get there share before it's all gone.
Hunger can be a great motivater, people that would be normally passive turn bad just look at christmas shopping (Remember cabbage patch dolls when they first came out??) if people go nut's just shopping for a stinkin doll what you think some them socker moms would get all Mogadishu on you in a NewYork minuet with some starvin&ribbey kids to feed!
Not to mention someone having a grudge against you (like your spouses Ex boyfriend/Husband) a neighbor's land dispute, it wouldent take much for people to turn ugly.
I agree that people will get ugly, but you need to tour some areas of the country that are not near a metropolis. A 4 hour drive from LA is still near a metropolis. A 4 hour drive from Chicago is not near a metropolis. Things are relative geographically.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Mount Ranier eh? Well theres alot of old andesite around, she sports a narrow central hydrothermal system, has more than 55 lahar and debirs flows from very long ago. Pumice layers last laid down between 1820 and 1858. Last lava eruption around 2,200 years ago. Pyroclastic flows erupted around 1,100 years ago. Shes still an active volcano with eruption intervals I think about every 2,200 years. However, at least through the 1980's studies, there doesnt appear to be any tilting or bulging deformities at this time. Although there not always massive eruptions by studies done at this site, and theres only a few studies that have been done, and the last ones in the 1980's, she could still go almost anytime, and anytime could be next week to 200 years from now. Probably just a little event though. My bet it'll be some pyroclastic flows along with some lahar and debris flows. (melting glaciers) Dont really know if she'll be as massive as Mt. St. Helens, I dont think so, but you'll have some mess to clean up afterwards.
And the Super Volcano under Yellowstone may erupt at any minute. That is considered a SHTF scenario. Imagine dark skies for weeks, and a fall out that will coat the country (depending on wind) with feet of ash and debris. You'd better be ready, because some people are.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Then, there are the rest of us.

Good thread.
The rest of us is right. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/ft-survival-10494/
Hows that SHTF FT Manual coming JD?

Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #15

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
And the Super Volcano under Yellowstone may erupt at any minute. That is considered a SHTF scenario. Imagine dark skies for weeks, and a fall out that will coat the country (depending on wind) with feet of ash and debris. You'd better be ready, because some people are.
When the super volcano under Yellowstone goes all bets are off. It will potentially be a world wide mass extinction event. Many will survive but many more will perish. You wont have to worry about global warming anymore as the world will be thrown into a mini ice age. Now if the glacial ice on Greenland faults and melts away into the oceans and stalls the currents between the contentents and thus the weather, were going to be into a real ice age, which lasts for many thousands of years. Buy the way in geological time were near over due for this geological event on our planet. Mother nature has a cruel way of regulating things and no power on this world can stop her. That being said, I dont think and really hope neither of these events happen in my lifetime.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
The rest of us is right. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/ft-survival-10494/
Hows that SHTF FT Manual coming JD?
Ran into a bit of a snag I am afraid. I got too many people mad about shooting assignments, so I had to restructure the entire org chart.

So I am basically at square one, but it definitely starts with a general warning and call to arms.

Then us "normal folk" link up with their appointed forum travel buddy, most of whom are Jeep guys from Jeep Forums and have spent thousands of dollars on their vehicles waiting for the signal from Heimdal's Horn...

Then we meet and secure a base camp, and learning from the readings of the past, we don't choose a valley and we make sure we have running water.

After that, it's kind of a gray area.... How gray? Charcoal.....

JD

Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
When the super volcano under Yellowstone goes all bets are off. It will potentially be a world wide mass extinction event. Many will survive but many more will perish. You wont have to worry about global warming anymore as the world will be thrown into a mini ice age. Now if the glacial ice on Greenland faults and melts away into the oceans and stalls the currents between the contentents and thus the weather, were going to be into a real ice age, which lasts for many thousands of years. Buy the way in geological time were near over due for this geological event on our planet. Mother nature has a cruel way of regulating things and no power on this world can stop her. That being said, I dont think and really hope neither of these events happen in my lifetime.
I can only hope we fall into an iceage. 24 years of dealing with New England weather is good preparation. I'll relocate somewhere south and it will be just like home. I'll be fine, while mother nature cleanses the earth.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Ran into a bit of a snag I am afraid. I got too many people mad about shooting assignments, so I had to restructure the entire org chart.

So I am basically at square one, but it definitely starts with a general warning and call to arms.

Then us "normal folk" link up with their appointed forum travel buddy, most of whom are Jeep guys from Jeep Forums and have spent thousands of dollars on their vehicles waiting for the signal from Heimdal's Horn...

Then we meet and secure a base camp, and learning from the readings of the past, we don't choose a valley and we make sure we have running water.

After that, it's kind of a gray area.... How gray? Charcoal.....

JD
I think making a list of travel buddies should be close to first on the list of "to-dos". Moderators should temporarily take the leadership roll until we get to our main survival location. BKT, I'm with you. I PROMISE I won't mention the Red Sox or Yankees for the whole trip.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #19

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I can only hope we fall into an iceage. 24 years of dealing with New England weather is good preparation. I'll relocate somewhere south and it will be just like home. I'll be fine, while mother nature cleanses the earth.
If we go into a more normal scenereo ice age it will be slow and glaciation of your neck of the woods will take quite awhile. Climate zones will change/move to the south somewhat. Most but not all of contential USA could eventually cover with glacires. Ultimately in this scenereo crops will be a bit of a problem, however, not near as catastrophic as if Yellowstone went off. If Yellowstone goes off the mini-ice age will last maby to 100 years or less but with massive world wide crop failures in the begining years. (Blocked out and reduced sunlight) Plants simply will die and new ones will not grow for up to several years. Everything we eat will nearly disappear. The population that perishes from the initial eruption may end up being the lucky ones as their suffering will be over quickly.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #20

Quote:
You wont have to worry about global warming anymore
What's global warning, Al?