Year supply of food for CHEAP!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Year supply of food for CHEAP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Year supply of food for CHEAP!

I just ran across this today. Looks tasty and inexpensive as well as adaptive to whatever you have on hand to make it mo bettah or different.
I'm gonna mix some of this up.
Scotch Broth.
Excerpt:
A years worth of food storage for under $300! Yes, you read that right. How does expanding your food storage with literally hundreds of meals for around $300 sound? I think I may have found one of the best kept secrets around for pumping your food storage up REAL FAST and REAL CHEAP.

Scotch Broth is is a combination of grains and legumes and it provides a balanced and nutritious meal on the cheap! "This particular combination is said to provide a balance of ALL of the appropriate amino acids
Read more:
Bacon and Eggs: One Year Supply of Food Storage Under $300

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks Fireguy. I'm going to make a small batch this week and see how it is. It all works together to fill in the big picture.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

That's what I was thinking, too. Trying to eat the same thing every day would not work for long. Something like this mix that can be changed with different boullion flavors and stored, grown, or found veg and herbs would stretch my pantry a long ways.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2105 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 629

You can mix this with tomato soup for a whole different taste. Using different condiments will give you some variation so stock up on some herbs and spices. Rice and beans has long been a staple in poor areas. Adding vegetables to the mix makes a fairly balanced meal. Meat is a luxury and using it in soup or stew will stretch it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We grew up eating pinto beans and red chile with home made tortillas every Saturday night. If it was a pay weekend we would add some hamburger meat with the beans and chile. There is nothing like New Mexico chile, red or green to kick up a meal. We didn't know we were that poor at the time. I like the tomato soup idea. Got a basic batch in the crock pot now, can't wait to get home and try it.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #6

I mixed up a bunch of the Scotch Broth dry ingredients tonight. It was pretty easy using my electronic kitchen scale to do 2 pounds at a time and get it mixed well. Since I can't leave anything alone without messing with it, I added an ounce of Quinoa to each pound of the mix. Quinoa is supposed to be very nutritious and this looked like a good place to add some.

I will cook up a batch for supper tomorrow night and report on the flavor, texture, and appearance of this hopefully wondrous concoction.

If the family approves I can see filling gallon size mylar bags with this for long term storage. And it doesn't cost much, either.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been thinking about this recipe for about a week now and here is what I came up with. I wanted to mix this up but storage for me is an issue. But living on the gulf coast I always need hurricane prep food on hand. I took the ingredient list and divided by twelve to get a month supply. I decided I wanted a two month supply which cost exactly $30 from my local grocery store. I bought a 5 gallon bucket with a good sealing lid and mixed all the ingredients and it fits perfectly in the bucket with just a little space left. This comes up to 30 16ounce uncooked portions. I cooked it up tonight and found that a 16ounce portion makes about 8 good servings. Finally the taste. I thought it was a little bland with just the boullion and added a few jalapeno slices, garlic powder and Tony Chachere's. The flavor was amazing. Big hit with my wife and one of my kids. The other is just picky! The most amazing part is a just made dinner for my family of 4 for $1 and have enough for all of us for tomorrow!

The bucket is going to the bottom of the pantry, buy I'm not gonna wait to a hurricane blows through to cook it again.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-tex View Post
I have been thinking about this recipe for about a week now and here is what I came up with. I wanted to mix this up but storage for me is an issue. But living on the gulf coast I always need hurricane prep food on hand. I took the ingredient list and divided by twelve to get a month supply. I decided I wanted a two month supply which cost exactly $30 from my local grocery store. I bought a 5 gallon bucket with a good sealing lid and mixed all the ingredients and it fits perfectly in the bucket with just a little space left. This comes up to 30 16ounce uncooked portions. I cooked it up tonight and found that a 16ounce portion makes about 8 good servings. Finally the taste. I thought it was a little bland with just the boullion and added a few jalapeno slices, garlic powder and Tony Chachere's. The flavor was amazing. Big hit with my wife and one of my kids. The other is just picky! The most amazing part is a just made dinner for my family of 4 for $1 and have enough for all of us for tomorrow!

The bucket is going to the bottom of the pantry, buy I'm not gonna wait to a hurricane blows through to cook it again.
I'm glad you tried it and found a use for the basic recipe. I made a batch a couple weekends ago and forgot all about posting a review.
I made it as suggested and simmered for a couple of hours. The chickpeas and redbeans were softer than I would like. Probably overcooked, but still palatable. I used chicken soup base, and like jd said it was a little bland. I gave it more pepper, some granulated garlic, and more soup base and it was very good. A regular size bowl was enough to fill me very well. It is also substantial enough it keeps you feeling full for a good long time. I can see this as a valuable food item in times of need.

I didn't price out the ingredients I used, but I am positive it was a very inexpensive meal to put together.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhin
We grew up eating pinto beans and red chile with home made tortillas every Saturday night. If it was a pay weekend we would add some hamburger meat with the beans and chile. There is nothing like New Mexico chile, red or green to kick up a meal. We didn't know we were that poor at the time. I like the tomato soup idea. Got a basic batch in the crock pot now, can't wait to get home and try it.
Im a born an raised new mexico boy from roswell 4 th generation rancher, notin better than a big bowl of green chilli but these hatch chillies suck theses days try a good pueblo chilli, I go to pueblo colorado alot an stock up on them. Hands down the best chilli period is the pueblo chilli

Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I got some 15 bean soup bags at wally world last week. I made a batch of it last night,and it was pretty darn good . And cheap $2.35 . I'll be stocking up on those .