Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > WVO in a generator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default WVO in a generator

What would be required to run filtered WVO in a diesel generator. Also, would HHO work with it too? My idea is to start the generator with regular diesel & when the WVO & HHO dry cell is heated I'd switch it over to them. Any thoughts or opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

It would help to know what WVO and HHO are.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
It would help to know what WVO and HHO are.
Yeah, what he said.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #4

Waste vegetable oil & oxyhydrogen/Brown's Gas.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #5

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

as pertaining to "Brown Gas - HHO"

"The most common and decisive counter-argument against using the gas as a fuel is that the energy required to split water molecules exceeds the energy recouped by burning it, and these devices reduce, rather than improve fuel efficiency" - Wiki

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Using straight WVO isn't as easy as pouring it in the tank.

First there is the collection aspect of it. And I have heard accounts of folks finding all sorts of dead critters in the grease tanks behind restaurants.

The next issue is filtration. Being that it is waste oil, it will have all manner of injector clogging material in it like crumbs, batter drippings and french fry bits that will need to be taken out. And then, after you're done with that, you'll have to put it through a really good filter.

Finally (and you alluded to this in your post) not only do you have to start the generator with diesel and then switch to WVO, but before you cut it off, you've got to switch back to diesel and let it run for a little while. You'll not want to leave the WVO in the system and let it cool down. Bad news!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
Using straight WVO isn't as easy as pouring it in the tank.

First there is the collection aspect of it. And I have heard accounts of folks finding all sorts of dead critters in the grease tanks behind restaurants.

The next issue is filtration. Being that it is waste oil, it will have all manner of injector clogging material in it like crumbs, batter drippings and french fry bits that will need to be taken out. And then, after you're done with that, you'll have to put it through a really good filter.

Finally (and you alluded to this in your post) not only do you have to start the generator with diesel and then switch to WVO, but before you cut it off, you've got to switch back to diesel and let it run for a little while. You'll not want to leave the WVO in the system and let it cool down. Bad news!
The wvo would indeed definitely be filtered. And you are also correct about running diesel before stopping. I've known of someone that did this with his truck.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #8

filtering will work, but the viscosity has to be lowered by heating of the "filtered" oil in order to get it to atomize correctly. if it is not correctly atomized, then excessive carbon build-up from incomplete combustion will result in detrimental engine damage. you can do this by adding a second tank (to hold the VO) and a heat exchanger, and run it as you stated -- diesel, VO, diesel. with a single tank, direct injection engine, you'll have to heat with a block heater first; with an indirect injection engine, it's complicated (there is a kit, i believe for both).

as long as you have purified (not just filtered) the Vegetable Oil you can leave it, BUT you have to separate off the fats (fatty acids) in the oil. you know what i'm talking about if you have ever: 1. treated a cast iron pot with VO after cooking, cleaning, drying and then coating with VO; after about 2 weeks or more of set-up, it tends to leave a sticky residue on the pot -- that's the fat; or 2. an "old" or "rancid" smelling oil -- that's because the fats in the VO have spoiled.

you have to MAKE SURE that ALL the fats are separated from the actual end product.

IIRC, all of this should be true. it was on an episode of Dirty Jobs and i have a 7.3L diesel that i did some research on. the fatty acids are the detrimental chemical combinations for the whole process. i haven't been able to find anything online yet in detail about it though.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc

Old 02-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
filtering will work, but the viscosity has to be lowered by heating of the "filtered" oil in order to get it to atomize correctly. if it is not correctly atomized, then excessive carbon build-up from incomplete combustion will result in detrimental engine damage. you can do this by adding a second tank (to hold the VO) and a heat exchanger, and run it as you stated -- diesel, VO, diesel. with a single tank, direct injection engine, you'll have to heat with a block heater first; with an indirect injection engine, it's complicated (there is a kit, i believe for both).

as long as you have purified (not just filtered) the Vegetable Oil you can leave it, BUT you have to separate off the fats (fatty acids) in the oil. you know what i'm talking about if you have ever: 1. treated a cast iron pot with VO after cooking, cleaning, drying and then coating with VO; after about 2 weeks or more of set-up, it tends to leave a sticky residue on the pot -- that's the fat; or 2. an "old" or "rancid" smelling oil -- that's because the fats in the VO have spoiled.

you have to MAKE SURE that ALL the fats are separated from the actual end product.

IIRC, all of this should be true. it was on an episode of Dirty Jobs and i have a 7.3L diesel that i did some research on. the fatty acids are the detrimental chemical combinations for the whole process. i haven't been able to find anything online yet in detail about it though.
What would you suggest be the best method of separating the fatty acids?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:33 AM   #10

ahhhhhhhhh, that is the magical question............i haven't been able to find ANYWHERE online that caters to such an endeavor. and the machinery that the man had on Dirty Jobs, was pricey (but i think he did it over several years).

try this link: