Worse Case Scenario - Nuke - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Worse Case Scenario - Nuke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post

For whatever crazy reason, they teach you about this stuff in the Navy because they still think the Russians or Chinese are going to invade, but I realize most people have no idea about this kinda thing.
Another reason the Navy still teaches all of that stuff is because we operate Nuclear powered vessels, and maintain nuclear warheads. Good for folks to understand some of the risk associated with the enterprise.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #32

Liked 40 Times on 23 Posts

I would be toasted bread! They wouldn't even have to drop a nuke by me, 15 miles north weta is a nuke power plant and 5 miles due south... An ethanol plant.
Funny thing, the local phone book used to publish in the book a "what if" page or two... Where to go, what to do sort of thin if the power plant were ever to melt down or explode. They quit publishing it over 5 years ago, either people don't care or they know that with the ethanol plant around the corner we are all doomed (unless of course you happen to be waaaay out of town)

Old 11-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
In all seriousness, all you really need to do if the area you are in has been irradiated is to leave, even if that means on foot. Getting just a few miles away from a nuclear event is more than enough distance to mitigate the worst of the effects of radiation.

If you don't inhale or ingest radioactive particulates and don't die in the blast, then odds are good that if you're not seriously injured as a result of the blast then you'll live a long, unhappy life afterwards.

The Alpha particulates are blocked by your skin.

The Beta particulates are blocked by heavy clothing, any clothing really. This would be the stuff in tritium watches and night sights. Not something you want to ingest or inhale, but otherwise relatively harmless.

Gamma can only realistically be blocked by mother earth and the same goes for neutron radiation. If you know it's coming, find a hole… and cars don't do bean dip against gamma. On the bright side, if you're close enough to receive a lethal dose the blast will probably get you first.

A simple rag over your mouth is sufficient. Don't eat and don't drink, if possible, until you're well away from the irradiated area. Hint, walk into the wind and away from where you saw, or didn't see since it would've blinded you, the miniature sun on earth.

Obviously a gas mask with a CBRN filter is better, but the only real reason to carry one with you is if you know you're going into places that are irradiated. If you were assigned cleanup duties, you'd be issued a mask and dosimeter to measure the total dosage of radiation you've received.

In case anyone here wanted the gory details:

400-500 Roentgens - About 50% will die in about a month.
500-750 Roentgens - Very few survivors and immediate medical attention will be necessary for the few who do survive, which won't likely be available.
1000 Roentgens - Death pretty much guaranteed within a week or two.
5000 Roentgens - Immediate incapacitation and death within hours to a week.

About how much would you receive from a 1MT burst?

2 miles - about 44 Roentgens
1.5 miles - about 700 Roentgens
1 mile - about 14,000 Roentgens
.5 miles - about 500,000 Roentgens

Distance is your friend.

Now, those same doses received over time are not significantly damaging to the human body and you naturally receive radiation from a variety of sources, most notably the sun, over time. Understand that radiation measurement is a function of the magnitude of the dose and the time over which it is received. The uniformity of your radiation exposure and the time over which you receive the dose have a lot to do with how sick you will or won't be.

If the rate of exposure is over 10 Roentgens per hour outside and unless you are trapped out in the open in the fallout zone, then STAY INSIDE. Fallout radiation decay is exponential and within a week or two very little of the initial radiation will remain.

Here's a quick and dirty primer on how all this nasty stuff works:

http://www.des.umd.edu/rs/material/tmsg/rs6.html

If that's a bit too technical, I can post some other freely available resources.

For whatever crazy reason, they teach you about this stuff in the Navy because they still think the Russians or Chinese are going to invade, but I realize most people have no idea about this kinda thing.

Good post. Alpha radiation isn't one to see as a light scare, it's bone seeker if ingested. (cancer)...nasty stuff.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 11-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #34

Liked 235 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 46

If they drop a bomb with 2 miles of my house, then they have run out of high value targets.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
Good post. Alpha radiation isn't one to see as a light scare, it's bone seeker if ingested. (cancer)...nasty stuff.
Yeah, but the dose you'd have to receive in order for it to be a problem would place you close enough for other things to kill you first.

That said, the less radiation you absorb from a nuclear event, the better.

Radioactive particles can be washed off of skin and clothing, assuming the water isn't also contaminated with radioactive particulates.

Your skin is one of the most perfect barriers nature has devised, but once that barrier has been breached (cut) or circumvented (mouth, eyes, ears) there's not nearly so much protection for what's inside you.

Once again, cover your mouth, leave the area if you're not already in a structure you can seal off (turn off the A/C, seal A/C vents/doors/windows with duct tape and plastic sheeting) for a week or two, and travel upwind.

Having 5 gallon water jugs and disposable plastic bottles are a good idea, as is canned food, a battery powered weather radio with lithium batteries, and incandescent flashlights (maglites). A coleman stove of the right type will burn just about anything you feed it. Plastic sheeting and duct tape, available at your local Wal-Mart, can seal off your house. If you live near a nuclear power plant, having a gas mask and Potassium Iodide tablets is probably a good idea.

If you live in or near a city like we do, you're SOL. Hope that the invaders are short on nukes and stay away from military facilities if you're not in the military.

Obviously gas masks, NBC suits (sometimes called MOPP, or Mission Oriented Protective Posture, suits in the military), and extra filters is a good idea, but all that stuff costs a lot of money and it simply is not necessary if you are prudent in your post-nuclear event travels.

To give someone an idea of how expensive all that stuff is:

1. The MCU-2/P mask like the one I was issued is about $200 or so.
2. The CBRN filters for the mask are between $40 to $50 each.
3. A chemical suit like a Tychem CPF-4 (better than a typical military chemical suit and less expensive) is about $100. Anything less than that is not something you want to wear for an extended amount of time in a contaminated environment and the cost differential between it and lesser suits is marginal.
4. The butyl gloves like the pair I was issued go for $20-$25 a pair.
5. Chemical boots are between $25-$50 a pair, but much better and less expensive than the stupid butyl overboots I was issued- far easier to put on and take off.
6. A mask-compatible canteen will run between $15 to $30.

You'll need to add some money for testing and cleaning supplies to ensure that the mask seals to your face and that it is in good condition if you need it.

The voice transmitting attachments and drinking tube attachments are usually sold at extra cost and do not come with the mask. In order for people to understand what you're saying, the voice transmitter is a good idea. The drinking tube for a compatible canteen should be an obvious necessity.

For decontamination, the military uses bleach and water. Oddly enough, with all the other fancy equipment available, simple household bleach is what you would use for decontamination. Make sure the bleach doesn't have anything else added to it.

Now for the expensive stuff. Dosimeters, chargers, and measurement recording equipment can easily costs hundreds of dollars. A dosimeter similar to the kind reactor personnel are issued is typically $100 or more. You also need a charger, another $100 or more. Electronic personal dosimeters typically cost several hundred dollars or more. Any radiation detection equipment has to be calibrated and if it wasn't calibrated then there's no way of knowing whether or not the measurements taken by the instrument are accurate. This means that the nuclear detection alert electronic toys sold online are not what you want to use to determine exposure, even if they are mildly entertaining and can, to some extent, measure or record exposure. Even after radiation detection instruments are calibrated, few of them, apart from the ones that are unaffordable and/or unavailable to the general public, are sophisticated enough to paint a complete picture of your exposure. However, the personal dosimeter is a very good indicator of exposure and, generally speaking, accurate so long as it was calibrated and the dose was within the measurement range of the instrument.

After all of that, you need manuals, training, and exercises to actually use all of that equipment.

My advice is to use what's simple and available, use common sense to avoid irradiated areas, and not to invest in the types of equipment the military uses if you do not live near a nuclear power facility. Nuclear power facilities are a more significant hazard than nuclear explosions because the radiation releases from accidents and normal operations are of much longer duration, and at a significant dosage rate with respect to the hazard posed to human life, even if the peak dosage rate is not nearly as high as a nuclear explosion. The decay rate of the byproducts of nuclear explosions is much, much faster than those from nuclear power accidents. Apart from tests, no one has ever used a nuclear weapon apart from our own government. Conversely, most industrialized countries use nuclear power and all of them, so far as I know, have had a variety of nuclear power-related accidents resulting in the inadvertent release of radioactive material.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #36
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8185

I live 13 miles rom a city with a National guard armory and a power plant. The best case scenario for me would be it the bomb landed in my living room. At least them i would barely feel it.

If it landed in the next biggest ciy west, It wouldbe blown north east of me by the prevaeling wind, and the big city to the east, it would never come near me.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 361 Posts

I can see NORAD from my backyard, I'll assume 3-5 high yield warheads and complete destruction of the area.