Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Worse Case Scenario - Nuke

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 5,268
Liked 1250 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Default

I am about 150 miles from the nearest possible target. The ones in the middle wont know what hit them. Radiation and fallout will get most of the rest of us. My kids are in the middle of a major hit zone. Even if I talked them into moving they would probably move into another target zone.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,142
Liked 2226 Times on 1446 Posts

Default

Like a buddy of mine always said, "when it happens, run toward the light, and you'll be fine" :Eeeek:

__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,205
Liked 605 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Default

I'm getting the hot dogs and s'mores ready, just in case.

__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I'm getting the hot dogs and s'mores ready, just in case.
Yum!

__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24,457
Liked 16825 Times on 9750 Posts
Likes Given: 43881

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Yum!

something about my hotdogs glowing from radiation is just, well, not very appetizing!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,205
Liked 605 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
something about my hotdogs glowing from radiation is just, well, not very appetizing!
A little extra radiation never killed anyone… immediately.
__________________
kbd512 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24,457
Liked 16825 Times on 9750 Posts
Likes Given: 43881

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
A little extra radiation never killed anyone… immediately.
LMAO!!!

thank you for that enlightment!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mich1377usmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Union County NC
Posts: 545
Liked 152 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Yum!

Love me some " Atomic Dog " , now where's that cat ........... got to be that dog in ME...... lol
__________________
mich1377usmc is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,205
Liked 605 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Default

In all seriousness, all you really need to do if the area you are in has been irradiated is to leave, even if that means on foot. Getting just a few miles away from a nuclear event is more than enough distance to mitigate the worst of the effects of radiation.

If you don't inhale or ingest radioactive particulates and don't die in the blast, then odds are good that if you're not seriously injured as a result of the blast then you'll live a long, unhappy life afterwards.

The Alpha particulates are blocked by your skin.

The Beta particulates are blocked by heavy clothing, any clothing really. This would be the stuff in tritium watches and night sights. Not something you want to ingest or inhale, but otherwise relatively harmless.

Gamma can only realistically be blocked by mother earth and the same goes for neutron radiation. If you know it's coming, find a hole… and cars don't do bean dip against gamma. On the bright side, if you're close enough to receive a lethal dose the blast will probably get you first.

A simple rag over your mouth is sufficient. Don't eat and don't drink, if possible, until you're well away from the irradiated area. Hint, walk into the wind and away from where you saw, or didn't see since it would've blinded you, the miniature sun on earth.

Obviously a gas mask with a CBRN filter is better, but the only real reason to carry one with you is if you know you're going into places that are irradiated. If you were assigned cleanup duties, you'd be issued a mask and dosimeter to measure the total dosage of radiation you've received.

In case anyone here wanted the gory details:

400-500 Roentgens - About 50% will die in about a month.
500-750 Roentgens - Very few survivors and immediate medical attention will be necessary for the few who do survive, which won't likely be available.
1000 Roentgens - Death pretty much guaranteed within a week or two.
5000 Roentgens - Immediate incapacitation and death within hours to a week.

About how much would you receive from a 1MT burst?

2 miles - about 44 Roentgens
1.5 miles - about 700 Roentgens
1 mile - about 14,000 Roentgens
.5 miles - about 500,000 Roentgens

Distance is your friend.

Now, those same doses received over time are not significantly damaging to the human body and you naturally receive radiation from a variety of sources, most notably the sun, over time. Understand that radiation measurement is a function of the magnitude of the dose and the time over which it is received. The uniformity of your radiation exposure and the time over which you receive the dose have a lot to do with how sick you will or won't be.

If the rate of exposure is over 10 Roentgens per hour outside and unless you are trapped out in the open in the fallout zone, then STAY INSIDE. Fallout radiation decay is exponential and within a week or two very little of the initial radiation will remain.

Here's a quick and dirty primer on how all this nasty stuff works:

http://www.des.umd.edu/rs/material/tmsg/rs6.html

If that's a bit too technical, I can post some other freely available resources.

For whatever crazy reason, they teach you about this stuff in the Navy because they still think the Russians or Chinese are going to invade, but I realize most people have no idea about this kinda thing.

__________________
kbd512 is offline  
DFlynt Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
In all seriousness, all you really need to do if the area you are in has been irradiated is to leave, even if that means on foot. Getting just a few miles away from a nuclear event is more than enough distance to mitigate the worst of the effects of radiation.

If you don't inhale or ingest radioactive particulates and don't die in the blast, then odds are good that if you're not seriously injured as a result of the blast then you'll live a long, unhappy life afterwards.

The Alpha particulates are blocked by your skin.

The Beta particulates are blocked by heavy clothing, any clothing really. This would be the stuff in tritium watches and night sights. Not something you want to ingest or inhale, but otherwise relatively harmless.

Gamma can only realistically be blocked by mother earth and the same goes for neutron radiation. If you know it's coming, find a hole… and cars don't do bean dip against gamma. On the bright side, if you're close enough to receive a lethal dose the blast will probably get you first.

A simple rag over your mouth is sufficient. Don't eat and don't drink, if possible, until you're well away from the irradiated area. Hint, walk into the wind and away from where you saw, or didn't see since it would've blinded you, the miniature sun on earth.

Obviously a gas mask with a CBRN filter is better, but the only real reason to carry one with you is if you know you're going into places that are irradiated. If you were assigned cleanup duties, you'd be issued a mask and dosimeter to measure the total dosage of radiation you've received.

In case anyone here wanted the gory details:

400-500 Roentgens - About 50% will die in about a month.
500-750 Roentgens - Very few survivors and immediate medical attention will be necessary for the few who do survive, which won't likely be available.
1000 Roentgens - Death pretty much guaranteed within a week or two.
5000 Roentgens - Immediate incapacitation and death within hours to a week.

About how much would you receive from a 1MT burst?

2 miles - about 44 Roentgens
1.5 miles - about 700 Roentgens
1 mile - about 14,000 Roentgens
.5 miles - about 500,000 Roentgens

Distance is your friend.

Now, those same doses received over time are not significantly damaging to the human body and you naturally receive radiation from a variety of sources, most notably the sun, over time. Understand that radiation measurement is a function of the magnitude of the dose and the time over which it is received. The uniformity of your radiation exposure and the time over which you receive the dose have a lot to do with how sick you will or won't be.

If the rate of exposure is over 10 Roentgens per hour outside and unless you are trapped out in the open in the fallout zone, then STAY INSIDE. Fallout radiation decay is exponential and within a week or two very little of the initial radiation will remain.

Here's a quick and dirty primer on how all this nasty stuff works:

http://www.des.umd.edu/rs/material/tmsg/rs6.html

If that's a bit too technical, I can post some other freely available resources.

For whatever crazy reason, they teach you about this stuff in the Navy because they still think the Russians or Chinese are going to invade, but I realize most people have no idea about this kinda thing.
Not so sure about Russia, but I wouldn't put it past China.

The REAL threat though would most likely come from someone like North Korea (they'd probably blow themselves up though ), Iran, or possibly even Al Quida if they managed to get a hold of a bomb. If that were the case, it would most likely be a really small device that would have to be sneaked into the US. The chances of an ICBM hitting the US now with our current defense system would be slim to none.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Worst case scenario. JTJ Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 0 05-04-2013 03:52 AM
Worst Case Scenario..... zaitsev44 The Club House 3 04-04-2013 02:14 AM
Nuke It!! Trez The Club House 0 09-05-2011 04:40 PM
Say hello to Nuke Boliek JiroZero713 The Club House 6 04-20-2011 12:41 AM