Wood pellet stoves - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Wood pellet stoves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

We had the pellet stove installed last Friday and we love it!! first off the company that put it in for us did a great job. I like the idea of dumping a bag in the hopper hitting a button and in five minutes you have fire. I know I'm gettin lazy in my old age but that is why GOD gave us two boys ha ha.

We also got 4 tons of pellets to get us through the winter. The next thing to save up for is a portable generator. Which when we do get that I am planning to rewire the well pump to a pug and cord configuration so we can run the stove and flush the toliet if we loose power this winter.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I looked in to both of them myself and decided on the wood burner, because I have free access to wood. I was also concerned about the cutting and splitting of the wood because the wife is 55 years old now. Love, honor and obey, now obey woman and go cut me some fire wood! She appreciates it when I allow her to split wood in decent weather. Nice to own a woman who cleans your fish, wash your boat, skin the game and cut / split your wood

Yea, right

Old 10-31-2011, 04:34 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I have had a pellet stove for over 20 years and I am very happy with it. I use a generator when needed during power outages. I have a backup wood stove though, just in case.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:04 AM   #24

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a pellet stove and it heats my entire 2300 sq ft home. Burns a bag, that's $5, per day on cold < 30 degree days.

Plan to run it off batteries and an sine wave inverter should there be a long term power outage. I also have a standby generator and plan on having some solar or wind, what ever the HOA will allow.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I have a pellet stove and it heats my entire 2300 sq ft home. Burns a bag, that's $5, per day on cold < 30 degree days.

Plan to run it off batteries and an sine wave inverter should there be a long term power outage. I also have a standby generator and plan on having some solar or wind, what ever the HOA will allow.
I thought about a string of batteries and a inverter but with the two boys in the house I decided to save up for a generator instead. Our sister company deals a lot with D.C. so I thought of getting some used batteries from the the deep cell ones and wiring them up in parellel and slapping a inverter on it been I firgure as soon as I do that one of the boys would dare they other to stick their toung somewhere it did not belong and then I would have a whole lot of explaining to do. Plus with the generator like I said earlier I could rewire the well pump and at least flush the toliet.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #26

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can cover the battery array in a box and lock it to keep the kids out. My plan was to have eight deep cycle 12V batteries in parallel charged and ready when needed.

Do you think I'd need more than 6400AH? I'm just guessing??

Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #27

Liked 35 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Coleman's has a few military stoves... they show they are out of the M1950 wood burning but If you want one call and they maight have stock
Search Results :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products

Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
You can cover the battery array in a box and lock it to keep the kids out. My plan was to have eight deep cycle 12V batteries in parallel charged and ready when needed.

Do you think I'd need more than 6400AH? I'm just guessing??
The lock box would be the way to go. Then again my boys would only touch it once and relize not to do it twice. Their boys but they are not stupid. We were out of town this week and found a 6250 watt generator for $800 so I went ahead and got it. Now I have to save up the money to rewire ssome stuff funds are getting low now but I feel better prepped igoing into this winter.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Teach the boys that if they eat lead or lick batteries it will kill them. Try not to kill them in the process.

My boys carry safety glasses and ear protection everywhere they go and they use them. As for myself I serve as a bad example.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #30

Well, this morning the proof of fire switch (POF) went out on the stove. Luckly for me the shop that I bought the stove from was able to walk me through this. At first they told me everywhere to clean and what to take apart to clean. Then after some reassuring they told me what to switches to test. Since the stove was covered under warrenty the part was free. The side I did not understand was that they said if they came out here even if the part was bad they would have to charge me $75. They said the manufactor would cover the other $75. Now I would see if it was something I did to charge me but if it was a defect part why not the maker of the stove cover everything? OH well I got it fixed for free just cost me most of my day off. I was not planning on going hunting or anything.