Wood pellet stoves
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Wood pellet stoves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wood pellet stoves

We are looking into getting a wood pellet stove for the house. After the install cost the price to burn 1 ton of pellets is less than $200. My only concern is ruuning it without power. I know I could wire up some batteries to a inverter but that would only be a temp solution. If I was to buy a generator would be point less since I already have the furnace wired up for a generator for power outages. We want somthing to off set the nautral gas cost but still use in caase of a billizard. I 'am also looking at a good old fanshion wood burner but I start to thinking about all the wood I would have to cut again. If anybody has used a pellet stove I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

FWIW, pellet stoves are great, they're pretty energy efficient and relatively inexpensive to fuel. But, I would personally go with a wood burner simply because of the power factor. I've had wood burners in the past, looked into a pellet stove and decided to stick with the wood stove.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #3

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

My dad used a fire place insert, welded 5" tall sections of steel tub on the bottom, and put cement board under it and on the wall behind it, and just took the stove pipe out the window and up to the roof. Used full sized pieces of wood not pellets, always kept the house warm and the only thing he had to pay for was the steel tube.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7661 Times on 4603 Posts
Likes Given: 9573

I used to work with a guy who had a corn burning stove. I've been to his house in the winter. It worked well. I don't know the difference in cost between the wood pellet and corn burning stoves.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9409 Times on 4054 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Well, my step-bother has a pellet stove, daughter has an older Englander "Fireplace" wood stove (a mini) and we have a Woodchuck wood burning furnace. All 3 do a good job.

You are correct that you need 120AC for the pellet stove- payback is no appreciable ashes to mess with, and buy your fuel in neat little bags.

Englander and Woodchuck- can burn anything that you can fit through the doors (Woodchuck is rated for coal if I wanted to use that) but you DO have to handle a lot of wood several times before it goes into the firebox, and I can buy that, or do what I usually do- cut my own (have 8 cords of 19 month old split white oak out in the yard) . You DO have to clean out ashes, and dispose of them (garden loves wood ash)

You pays yer money, you takes your pick.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #6

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Is this for gasification?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

I personally like a big stove that I could cook on and will burn coal and wood. The need for electricity on a pellet/corn defeats the purpose, for me...

Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I use a pellet stove to offset my LP gas usage. Living in Ohio I burn mostly corn in the stove , smells a bit like caramel popcorn but not strong. The price of corn this year makes wood pellets the way to go.
I would buy another pellet stove if mine gave out. Last year I saved $125 a month using corn and wood pellets

Old 10-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
FWIW, pellet stoves are great, they're pretty energy efficient and relatively inexpensive to fuel. But, I would personally go with a wood burner simply because of the power factor. I've had wood burners in the past, looked into a pellet stove and decided to stick with the wood stove.
What he said....you are stuck to burning wood pellets....wood burner would be the route I'd go...imo

Jimmy

Old 10-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #10

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 898

I bought a neat military M1950 stove / heater for my shop.. It will burn just about anything you put in it.. Any solid fuels (wood, coal, etc.) and came with a kit to use liquid fuels (gas, diesel, kerosene, etc.) Everything folds up and collapses to fit inside the stove if you ever want to move it...
I plan on only using wood but its nice to have the options..

New U.S. Military Yukon M1950 Stove, Government Surplus, Brand Not Specified, New Never Issued Us Military Yukon M1950 Wood Woodburning Stove Usa Made at Sportsman's Guide