Wood Gasification? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Wood Gasification?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Great point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
The beauty of the system is that it does not require wood to burn. You can use ANY bio matter. Bio matter, of any source, is usually going to be plentiful in any state you are living in, but more limited in urban areas...unless you are burning gang members and street drummers.
That is a great point. The wood need only be in the vessel that is being heated and tapped. The vessel providing the heat could be fueled by anything that burns.

I love bowing to superior logic!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
There appears to be one thing that has been overlooked or not quite understood about the proccess. Usually the reactor fuel (wood, biomass) is the same fuel providing the heat source. In this image provided by Dunerunner, you can see there is no burner under the reaction chamber. The wood shown being made into producer gas is the same wood that is burning, the reactor chamber is where the producer gas is developed. I have not seen one that has an external heat source that is efficient enough to bring the char to 800 deg C. Once the biomass has been ignited and the reactor temp has reached the threshold then the oxygen supply is reduced but not enough to "put the fire out". At this point the C-H bonds are released and drawn off to be proccessed into the desired product. In essense, you are making charcoal brickets (char) but releasing the C-H rather than leaving it in the char.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #43

I have found a free .pdf file put out by FEMA I believe. It is older looking but it is very detailed on how to build a Wood Gas Generator. It covers the science and the fabrication. I just found it so I have not read through the entire thing but it appears to be a great resource. it does not appear that i can upload a .pdf so if anyone is interested shoot me a message and i can send it to you.

SH

Old 09-15-2009, 01:39 AM   #44

Likes Given: 2

Default Link

SJH,

You can post a link to a message quite easily. Just copy from the web browser addressline and paste to the message. No need to past a complete file.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #45

I wish i could however at the time i just downloaded many of the files and forgot to bookmark the page...dumb i know but we all blank from time to time.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #46

Default Getting started with a gasifier.

It is actually a lot easier to get started with a gasifier than you might think. I know a guy that put one of these units at his hunting cabin, Evinger Enterprises, making gasifiers accessible to everyone He is able to run his generator with no gasoline.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #47

Default "The Colony"

"The Colony"... I seen that series to.. Really cool stuff.. Except in a real situation, people will have guns. And you don't have all the stuff to work with. If it goes bad in today's world it will be a high tek stonage all over again.

There is another program on TV now called "After Armigeddon". A real scenario. Either way, it will be the ones that plan ahead for a global disaster. Econimic, war, revolution or being invaded. The boy scout moto, "Be Prepaired"..

BTW Great forum!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #48

Default Gasification fuel

It is interesting, but I would think if you use the fuel you use to make the "wood gas" you would get more energy from it that the gas produced from heating wood.

We done the gasification in a science experiment in school. About 50 years ago...