Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Wood Gasification?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Precisely correct. I smaller version of this is to light a match and watch it burn. It's not the wood that's burning, but the gas.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #22

When CO is reacted in an oxygen evironment it produces CO2. If O2 is resrticted in the process it produces "producer Gas". Producer gas, a mixture containing mostly carbon monoxide and nitrogen, formed by combustion of carbon in air at high temperature when there is an excess of carbon. In other words, you restrict the oxygen in the combustion process so that there is an excess of carbon. The reaction of O2 with carbon to give CO is described as the Boudouard equilibrium. Above 800 °C, CO is the predominant product:

O2 + 2 C → 2 CO
ΔH = -221 kJ/mol

Methanol is produced by the hydrogenation of CO. In a related reaction, the hydrogenation of CO is coupled to C-C bond formation, as in the Fischer-Tropsch process where CO is hydrogenated to liquid hydrocarbon fuels. This technology allows coal or biomass to be converted to diesel.

If you want to build one of these, all it has to have is a high temp combustion chamber where you can control the oxygen inlet and then draw off the "unburned" hydrocarbons and condense them back into a liquid (hydrocarbon fuel). A diesel engine will run fine on this mixture, but they tend to have a bit more rattle at combustion than normal and a slightly higher smoke in the exhaust. The diagram (pic) posted above is a good example but it is a down draft furnace and has other properties that make building one of them a little more of a challenge.

In short, your wood that you are burning is made of carbon and hydrogen (and a few minor other elements), If you burn it like the match example above, plenty of oxygen is available for complete combustion. If you heat the match to say 800 deg C. and not let any oxygen into the chamber it will release the C-H from the match with out combustion. C-H, is hydro-carbon. You know, hydro-carbons- fuel. It is a gas and can be condensed back into a liquid and used just as you would and other hydro-carbon.

I can clarify any part of this if you wish, just ask.

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKimber View Post
I can clarify any part of this if you wish, just ask.

No thanks...

Old 08-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quite clear, Mr Kimber. Thank you. But have you done it? Have you applied it? Has anyone here?

Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #25

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I recall doing an experiment/demonstration in school where a piece of wood is heated in a container and the resultant gases burn after traveling through a foot or so of glass tubing, but I haven't tried it with a lawnmower.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

There are a couple technicians I work with that have set their vehicles up with Hydrogen units and had significant gains. Seems like alot less work than the wood thing

Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #27

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 25

As I have all the time I need (being retired) and all the fab equipment in my shop, I think I'll study this in depth and come up with a build plan. In the coming years , with the way things are going, we may need something like this to produce electricity and heat our homes when SHTF. Besides, it will be something to keep me busy and maybe even make me a little extra money for other things. When I get to the point of the build, I might do a build thread for others to follow.

Jim.......................................

Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
As I have all the time I need (being retired) and all the fab equipment in my shop, I think I'll study this in depth and come up with a build plan. In the coming years , with the way things are going, we may need something like this to produce electricity and heat our homes when SHTF. Besides, it will be something to keep me busy and maybe even make me a little extra money for other things. When I get to the point of the build, I might do a build thread for others to follow.

Jim.......................................
Now that's what I'm talking about. The application potential is just limitless. Keep us informed on the progress of the build. List failure as well as successes. There is much to be learned from failure.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As soon as I perfect bunghole-flavored dog food, I'm retiring again.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
As soon as I perfect bunghole-flavored dog food, I'm retiring again.
It's already been invented. It's called McDonalds