Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Wise Up and Stock up as Food Shortages and Price Hikes Are Coming Before Year's End (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/wise-up-stock-up-food-shortages-price-hikes-coming-before-years-end-104031/)

Bigcountry02 02-15-2014 07:36 AM

Wise Up and Stock up as Food Shortages and Price Hikes Are Coming Before Year's End

World events regarding climate conditions across the global.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/it-has-begun-wise-up-and-stock-up-as-food-shortages-and-price-hikes-are-coming-before-the-years-end_02142014

Editorís Note: One of the key trends weíve seen over the last ten years is an unabated rise in prices for essential goods that include food, energy and other commodities. This year, as was the case in the 1930′s, weíve seen quite a significant change in the weather. We can go back and forth about the causes, but for all intents and purposes this would be an exercise in futility. Whatís important to us personally are the consequences. In the following article Lizzie Bennet of Underground Medic highlights what those consequences will be. The key takeaway is that everything, especially your food, is about to skyrocket in price. If you have the means to do so, consider stockpiling additional goods, especially those essential dry goods like rice, beans, wheat, and corn. One of the best investments you can make is to buy at todayís lower prices and consume at tomorrowís higher prices. Itís a strategy that would have yielded you 50% Ė 100% gains over the last four years, and itís one that will continue to be a sound investment. Moreover, unlike paper investments, when you own commodities stored in your home there is no counter-party risk. Get prepared for long-term emergencies and save money while youíre at it!

Stop for a moment and think about whatís happening weatherwise around the world.

California is in the middle of a drought so severe that domestic supplies may be cut in a matter of weeks. California produces a massive amount of the food consumed in the United States.

Extreme cold in the United States has killed livestock in the hundreds of thousands.

Florida farmers are looking at massive losses from cold weather not just ruining citrus crops, but squash, cucumbers and herbs.

Wheat growth in Texas is stunted by continuing cold weather.

The fishing industry in Indonesia has taken a hit because of bad weather.

Peru, Venezuela, and Bolivia have experienced rainfall heavy enough to flood fields and rot crops where they stand. Volcanic eruptions in Ecuador are also creating problems due to cattle ingesting ash with their feed leading to a slow and painful death.

Parts of Australia have been in drought for years affecting cattle and agricultural production.

Rice production in China has been affected by record low temperatures.

Large parts of the UK are underwater, and much of that water is sea water which is poisoning the soil. So wet is the UK that groundwater is so high it is actually coming out of the ground and adding to the water from rivers and the sea. With the official assessment being that groundwater flooding will continue until MAY, and thatís if it doesnít rain again between now and then. The River Thames is 65 feet higher than normal in some areas, flooding town after town as it heads to the sea.

Even the boreholes that keep an eye on groundwater levels canít cope, this one blew its cap off yesterday.

Crops are going to be severely affected with some farmers saying they will not be able to plant at all this year due to salt pollution from sea water inundation.

Itís time to ramp up your food prepping. Weather around the world is causing problems with food production and there is no reason to think these problems are just going to go away.

Although I personally donít buy into the global warming hype there is no doubt that last years weather was bad enough around the globe to affect food security. The issues Iíve listed above are a few amongst many and we are only six weeks into the new year,

As I typed that last paragraph news alerts have gone out warning of 100mph winds, another few inches of rain and a further 23 flood warning issued to join the 300 plus already in force in the UK.

One geographical region having weather bad enough to damage food production usually results in higher prices because you have to import it from other countries. What happens though when those other countries donít have food to sell you because they have barely enough to feed their own people?

Itís time we all woke up to what is happening. Itís highly likely that certain foodstuffs will be in short supply by the end of this year. What is available is going to be a good deal more expensive than it is now. Many will not be able to afford the prices asked for basic commodities.

Vitamin deficiencies, malnutrition and disease outbreaks always occur when any form of an economic shift takes place. There is no reason to think that our situation a few months down the line will be any different. Food shortages and high prices are often a tipping point for wider unrest.

It has begun. Urge those who you know are unprepared to wise up and stock up, time may be shorter than they think.

MisterMcCool 02-15-2014 09:24 AM

It won't be the first time I survived the end of the world.

John_Deer 02-15-2014 11:23 AM

Hell, I have survived with a Crosman pump pellet rifle when I was young and stupid.

I can say that food prices are going up as we speak. We eat a lot of legs and thighs. Last summer I was paying 56 cents a pound for legs and thighs, now I am paying 78 cents a pound. Pork is holding steady. Once the road is safe we are going to kill 10 hogs today. I can get whole boneless pork loins for $2.78 a pound. Rice is holding steady at 50 cents a pound. Canned vegetables are hard to find for less the 75 cents a can. It's really cheaper to eat frozen vegetables.

A drought in CA would have to go on for a couple growing seasons to affect our food supply. If you ever notice when you fly over fields in CA they are round. What farmers do is drill a 6" well in the center of the field. Then they run an irrigation system out from the well. Drought is nothing new in CA.

Cattle can handle extreme cold better than they can handle extreme heat. I am not set up for cold weather. I can easily move hay in 4 feet of snow. I am sure farmers with a multi million dollar herd of cattle can move a hell of lot more snow than I can.

In conclusion, food prices may go up, but we are no where near starvation. Obummer is constantly trying to devalue the dollar but the Fed is not so stupid as to remove the dollar as the currency the world does business in. If the Fed allowed the dollar to sink to the point that is not the currency of the world we would really see hard times. The Walton family really would be the Waltons, all of them jammed together in the same house saying good night John Boy.

bluez 02-15-2014 01:36 PM

Big makes a very valid point.

While we arent going to starve certainly food prices are going to rise and globally food insecurity is going to grow.
I for one am buying some extra rice.

rjd3282 02-15-2014 03:07 PM

When was the last time the price of anything went down? As we have seen with ammo, hoarding only makes things worse. You can't pay unskilled, uneducated people 8 dollars an hour and expect prices not to rise. You can't pay unskilled uneducated union workers more than 20 dollars an hour, who do nothing when they are at work and expect prices not to go up. You can't use food for fuel and expect prices not to go up. You can't allow out of control taxes and government regulations and not expect prices to go up. This has nothing to do with the weather.

bluez 02-16-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 1507157)
When was the last time the price of anything went down? As we have seen with ammo, hoarding only makes things worse. You can't pay unskilled, uneducated people 8 dollars an hour and expect prices not to rise. You can't pay unskilled uneducated union workers more than 20 dollars an hour, who do nothing when they are at work and expect prices not to go up. You can't use food for fuel and expect prices not to go up. You can't allow out of control taxes and government regulations and not expect prices to go up. This has nothing to do with the weather.

i think its a perfect storm of all factors combined :)

awahlster 02-16-2014 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 1507157)

In 2000 a decent Gateway desk top computer was about $2000-2400.00 now you can get a desk top that has ten times the ability and storage for $500-700.00

TLuker 02-16-2014 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awahlster (Post 1507493)
In 2000 a decent Gateway desk top computer was about $2000-2400.00 now you can get a desk top that has ten times the ability and storage for $500-700.00

Good point. The price of a lot of things has come down because of increased productivity but most durable goods have gone up. We aren't going to run out of food but the price of food is getting painfully high along with a lot of other things. This would be a good year for a lot of people to try gardening to help off set some of the cost. I haven't bought any meats since deer season opened back in Oct. and that has really helped out on the grocery bill. In a couple of months I won't be buying any veggies either.

I would take the extra money I've saved and buy some .22lr's but I've still got rounds from bricks that I paid $10.00 for may years ago. My point with that is stock on non perishable items when it's convent and cheap because they probably won't stay that way. That doesn't mean try and start your own armory for an end of the world apocalypse but most things are going to cost more in the future. Especially quality items that took some time, skill, and or quality metal to produce. And try to either eliminate or produce perishable items like food when you can. Those two things really add up. :)

nitestalker 02-16-2014 03:44 AM

When is the last time you dined on a "Lap Top"? The problem is not in the California Orchards. The problem is in the devaluation of the dollar in Washington DC. It is the growing use of printing presses that is driving up food cost. The historically high government spending is driving inflation. :(

JTJ 02-16-2014 04:32 PM

In case you have not noticed prices on a lot of packaged items has held steady but the amount in the package has gone down. Frozen vegetables were 16 oz and now are 12 oz but the price has not reflected the lower quantity amounting to a 25%-33% increase in price. Sugar was 5 lbs and now 4 lbs. Downsizing is going on all over the place so the sellers can maintain a package price line. Locally beef has been steadily climbing but pork has been reasonable. Boneless pork loins have been going for a little less than $2.00 a lb on sale. Smoking deal a couple of weeks ago. Whole bone in pork loin 99 cents a lb. We watch for sales and stock up on stuff we use regularly. We also buy a lot of store brands which are usually less costly than name brands. We know which ones are good and which to stay away from. Buy 1 can or package to try before buying a bunch. Do not assume that a larger package is cheaper as quite often the smaller package will be cheaper per oz and handier. My wife makes all our bread and it is a big savings even using whole wheat flour. Pet peeve there. Whole wheat flour is cheaper to produce than white flour but costs more.