Winter Garden Preps?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Winter Garden Preps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2015, 05:08 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1885 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 4221

Default Winter Garden Preps?

I'm in the process of swapping gears from hunting to gardening. So now I'm scratching my head on gardening and getting ready for spring. So what would be some good projects right now to start getting the garden ready?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Till it up and fertilize the dirt and till it up again and continue to fertilize and till for the next couple months.

You can also get you some seeds(cheaper) and start you some plants in the house, of course you probably already know that.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
Till it up and fertilize the dirt and till it up again and continue to fertilize and till for the next couple months.

You can also get you some seeds(cheaper) and start you some plants in the house, of course you probably already know that.
I think I'm going to try and get some horse manure and till that in? I've got a decent amount of compost to till in as well. I should have done that back in November when the weather was better, but better late than never.

I'll wait till March to start any seeds that way they'll be ready to go in the ground come April. It sure would be nice to have a greenhouse for such projects.... possible project there???
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 01-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I think I'm going to try and get some horse manure and till that in? I've got a decent amount of compost to till in as well. I should have done that back in November when the weather was better, but better late than never.

I'll wait till March to start any seeds that way they'll be ready to go in the ground come April. It sure would be nice to have a greenhouse for such projects.... possible project there???
If you can get some chicken crap that is even better.

Chicken DOO DOO was widely used last year instead of the High priced fertilizer by farmers for their hay fields.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6668 Times on 3548 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Be careful as you can over fertilize. Incorrectly composted feces and urine can easily change the ph of the soil. Use sources of known good fertilizer.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 01-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
If you can get some chicken crap that is even better.

Chicken DOO DOO was widely used last year instead of the High priced fertilizer by farmers for their hay fields.
The ranchers around here never quit using it. But it sure does smell every year when they spray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Be careful as you can over fertilize. Incorrectly composted feces and urine can easily change the ph of the soil. Use sources of known good fertilizer.
What harm could a little extra nitrogen do?
Ya, I definitely need to do a little more research on that one. Part of the reason I should have put it out in November is so that it could break down more in the soil before spring. I think I would be ok if I can get it out before Feb. but the weather doesn't seem to be cooperating. I guess I'll have to play it by ear. And I might just put it out in one bed and then use that as a comparison to the others to see how much it helps?

And another plus to leaving out the manure over winter is earth worms will move in and break it down. They love that stuff along with leaves and any time you have earthworms you have good soil.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #7

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Bought a house on a short sale. Yard hadn't been mowed in a year dead grass and weeds were almost waist high in places. Back yard is tiny. Front yard is a slope. Eventually plan on terracing out the fron and building planting boxes along the side of the yard.

Still have a lot of raking, remowing, weeding and tree and shrub pruning to do.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 01-15-2015 at 03:36 PM.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 01-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Bought a house on a short sale. Yard hadn't been mowed in a year dead grass and weeds were almost waist high in places. Back yard is tiny. Front yard is a slope. Eventually plan on terracing out the fron and building planting boxes along the side of the yard.

Still have a lot of raking, remowing, weeding and tree and shrub pruning to do.

Looks like a great spot for some fruit trees!

I know this isn't the best time of year to be outside, but Feb. is the best month for planting shrubs and trees. So keep that in mind if you plan on doing any landscaping. But you might want to wait until after summer before you even think about landscaping so that everything can fill in just you'll know what you've already got there.

Looks like a great place. Congrats!
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 01-16-2015, 01:42 AM   #9

As far as composting goes, a lot is a balance between carbon and nitrogen. Grass clippings are high in nitrogen as is most chicken and other herbivore crap. Twiggy stuff and leaves tend to have more carbon, as well as shredded paper.

I'm hoping to add a small chicken coop and three to four hens. My daughter has a rabbit for a 4h project. Rabbit poop doesn't have a lot of nitrogen and can go almost directly on a garden without composting it. But mixing rabbit and chicken poop along with yard waste seems to make a pretty good compost. Throw some red worms in there too and it should compost pretty fast once weather warms up.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Looks like a great spot for some fruit trees!

I know this isn't the best time of year to be outside, but Feb. is the best month for planting shrubs and trees. So keep that in mind if you plan on doing any landscaping. But you might want to wait until after summer before you even think about landscaping so that everything can fill in just you'll know what you've already got there.

Looks like a great place. Congrats!
I know there are two fruit trees in the front yard. Not sure if they are both cherry trees or possibly a plum tree in there. We will indeed see what we have when spring comes around. Still need to prune off all the littl sucker branches.

I do know that there are hydrangeas and rhododendrons as far as flowering plants go. Also, my inlaw's just came up today to drop off some furniture that my wife just inherited as her grandmother passed away two weeks ago. They also brought two rose bushes from her grandmothers yard that the grand kids had bought for grandmother and grandfathers anniversary several years ago. Each grandchild is getting a couple of the rose bushes back. Kind of a living memory of both grandparents.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 01-16-2015 at 01:48 AM.