Wind generator
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Wind generator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Wind generator

Anybody ever built a wind generator? As some of you may know I'm restoring an antique tractor and one thing I plan on doing will be to convert it from 6 to 12 volt which involves swapping the factory generator for a 12 volt alternator. Just wondering if I could use the generator to build a wind generator, would be perfect to run a battery maintainer. Any thoughts?

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Found this article on the subject....

Quote:
Generators make DC current, and batteries need DC for charging. Generators were used in automobiles until around 1970, when alternators became more practical (due to the availability of cheap, small diodes). Even old car generators must spin too fast to be practical for wind power, but there have been many good plans for modifying them. Check out our PRODUCTS page for the LeJay Manual , which contains many useful, though involved, plans for doing this. Generators are fairly complex compared to alternators. They must have brushes, and complex commutators. Brushes require maintenance, and commutators can wear out....
Full article here, they do offer some solutions:

http://otherpower.com/otherpower_wind_alternators.html

Good luck

Old 11-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I thought a generator was just a motor 'running backwards'. That is, for example, a fan whose blades are being turned by the wind would generate electricity.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8875 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

A generator is a DC motor running backwards. An AC motor does not work the same way.

Matter of fact, you need a diode type circuit to keep stored current in the battery from flowing back into the generator, and having a big electric fan.

Yes, you can make the blades for a wind generator from redwood or spruce (there IS an airfoil shape, not just a fan blade) or you can use a sail wing, or a Savonius rotor. But before stuffing a lot of time and money into that, determine how much power that generator will produce, and at what rpm (will need to gear way up).

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #5

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 790

I would sell it on ebay... Working or not a old IHC generator is probably worth some $$$.... I sold a non-working generator (with the brackets) off a my 9N and got about $80 for it...
The alternator kits usually come with the brackets, so you shouldnt need the old ones...

Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #6

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Small wind generators are not very practical(maybe not the big ones either).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #7

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Practical?

I've read that an 11 mph wind average is required for wind generators. How they can figure that without knowing what the cost of your instillation, generator, and grid power costs, etc., are I don’t know.

Last edited by Vincine; 11-11-2012 at 03:13 PM.