Will you stay or go? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Will you stay or go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 678

i think i ould carry most of what i needed to my sisters house out in the boonies about an hour drive. to me her place is alot more livable, well, garden woods... here i have town water, and neighbors i can see pee. lol

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #22

Those of you planing to stay, do you have wood for doors and windows? Once again, we think of what we need for food and such but to me sealing off is best. In case of biological threat, better load up on plastic painters sheet to tape off rooms and such.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #23

I have a 3000 mile trip to my *ideal* bug out location but that's only if I can travel before the the big rush.( I foresee economic collapse ) so hopefully I can make it there in time doubtful yet hopeful. If not I have another a tank of gas away

Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #24

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper75 View Post
I have a 3000 mile trip to my *ideal* bug out location but that's only if I can travel before the the big rush.( I foresee economic collapse ) so hopefully I can make it there in time doubtful yet hopeful. If not I have another a tank of gas away
That's what I've been telling folks. In fact I told this forum just a couple weeks ago I give it 5 years from now at the max.
Then some one made the comment about optimism, I said yes 5 years is optimistic, because I really think it will happen in as little as 2-3 years.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #25

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Somebody might kill me out of my home, but they sure as hell won't run me out of my home.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #26

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

As I stated previously, we have already bugged out when we pulled out of the metro area and took land and a homestead in the country. Now we plan to bug in and provide a location for our (MAG) friends and family to bug into when things get tight.

In the discussion of Bug In -vs- Bug Out, I repeatedly hear these two statements more than any other (not just in this forum, but others as well and during meetings and conversations other like minded folks):

1. "I'm bugging in, no one is running me out".....or something like, "they will have to kill me to get me to leave, I'm not giving up all I have built to run away and leave it".

2. "I'll stay until things get really dicey and then I'll bug out".

For those planning to bug out, making the decision when, will be a critical decision, that I have found many having a tough time with and most do not have a back-up plan. If they leave to late, they face the great possibility of getting caught up in constant threats lining the travel path to safety. If they leave to early they may sacrifice their employment, home property and family ties by jumping the gun. Many folks have alternate routes and such. But what if you leave to soon, do they have a back-up plan to merge back into their civilized life? My MAG members do.

Although I'm already living in my bug-out location, there is absolutely nothing in the land, home, building, possessions, I can not get again if I lose this place. None of this is worth my life or even injury. I have started from scratch several times and can do it again.....if I'm alive! However I do applaud and respect those who are prepared to make their final stand and die for the material things they have earned in their life time.

Fighting to the death for others to be free is a worthy cause I have risked before and will risk again, but I also keep in mind, there is no freedom in death. Death may be an honorable sacrifice for others to be free, and many have made that choice and paid that price. I would not want to throw away my life, for which those before sacrificed theirs for me to have mine.....just to fight a loosing battle over personal property I can replace.....and hopefully along the way take revenge on those who run me out. I truly respect those who take a stand and are willing to defend to the death.....I also wonder how many of those who make a similar statement truly understand how the last few moments of that last stand will feel like?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #27

I think staying is good, i just would sit in my house. I think if there is a collapse of society, there will be time for everyone outside an area of the hot zone to make a decision.
For example, New York.
Right now if riots break out, i'm fine...if riots break out then start to spread...I'll be paying close attention...if military is brought in to control these riots(large number of military) I'll really be making mental decisions on where i'm going or what I'm doing...IF the SHTF in Chicago(about 20-45min from my school and home location) I will already be ready to make major decisions and actions.
It's all relative the the initial hot zone and events at time zero.
If it's economic collapse i honestly think the more poverty stricken areas will become a main focus of safety first and then there is no focus point of it starting.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #28

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If anything happens near by to me (for instance, massive rioting in Memphis), I'm leaving immediately. I'm not set up to make it where I live for anymore than a week or so, and everything I have I'm also willing to leave behind.

In this particular theoretical situation (Memphis riots), if it's gotten under control in a few days or a couple weeks, I can come back and hope everything is still here.

We can have everything we need in the truck and on the road in 2 hours or less.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #29

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I am reasonably secure where I live, as long as I can stay awake. I am more secure where I live than on the road to somewhere else during a 1st class crisis. I am too damn old to live in a cave and run around the woods with a bandana on my head an an AK in my arms searching for my next meal, or trying to fight off someone trying to take my next meal. Damn that. I am a fairly tough old fart, but a heck of a stretch from being Rambo. I have also got to the point in my life where I see some situations being less reasonable than death.

I could not survive a prolonged attack on my property or survive a gang invasion, but I could sure make it costly to the attackers; Neither my wife nor I could survive a year without medications, some of which can't be stockpiled.

When I have to die, better in the home I worked for all my life than in the cab of my truck, or in some mosquito ridden woodland.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #30

I have had this for a few days, I hope EVERY ONE made a manual of this type their NUMBER ONE priority. It's nice to think we all know what to do or can remember all these things we read. In reality, panic, stress, etc etc...you won't. Not unless you were breed for it or did it already.
U.S. Army Survival Manual FM 21-76 - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

I have 2 versions now but this one "FM21-76_SurvivalManual" I can not find where i DLed it from, in the quotes is the file name though. Should be and easy fined through a few Google searches.

I already see a few things that i never though to do, a smoker pit IN the ground rather than building a box, you just saved some wood or other materials. Most of it is when you are roughing it in the wild but useful none-the-less.