Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Will you stay or go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Depends on what hits the fan. I live in a small town in Northeastern Oregon farm land & mountains close enough river runs threw town and Colombia river close . The big problem is the umatella chemical weapons depot is only a few miles from us and the eastern Oregon correctional facility AKA prison in town. So if the **** really hits the fan either we glow in the dark or it's like the walls of a Zoo may crack open. But my plan is to hunker down and see. We may have to put down some animals ..
Joe-R

Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry!
Wyatt Earp

Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #162
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I am one of the fortunate ones in that I live in the mountains. On the other hand the mountains I live in are very close to Silicon Valley. Some of my friends say that 'When the SHTF I know where I am going" (meaning to my place. I politely tell them that unless they bring enough to support themselves without taxing our supplies they will not be welcome. We have prepared for our family and nothing more. The more supplies we put away mean we will be able to last longer. They are not for outsiders. We will take in family, but that is all.

In short, if your 'Going to the Mountains Plan" includes an area where there is private land I would re-think that. You are probably not going to be welcomed.
TRUTH. If you don't come with "venison for the table" you needn't come at all. Hard decision will HAVE to be made, and the first is prioritizing WHO you will be willing to feed and protect.

I have had "friends"....say very similar things to "We are just coming to YOUR house". My answer has always been the same...."Bring food, water, blankets, and medical supplies....you will need them on the road."

Unless you have some EXTREMELY useful skill to bring to the table....like trauma nurse or doctor (a veterinarian will do too)...I am not going to use our resources to keep you going if you FAILED TO PLAN.

I am lucky in that 3 out of 4 of my closest neighbors are mormon folk. I am NOT mormon, but they have a long history of preparedness. One of their tenants of their faith is two YEARS worth of food. I have taken a page from their play book, and done the same. I have even learned a LOT about food storage/rotation from my neighbor John and his wife. My wife, daughter, mother-in-law and her husband will be fine for over two years. The $$ involved, especially spread over the last five years or so, has been a minimal % of the overall budget, and I keep adding to the stockpile every month. My Mother In Law (Mom from here on out) has been kicking into the fund for years....she has a place here. She is also a teacher, which WILL be a vital skill.

As for a nuke attack....hell...I live WAY out in the desert. We will probably not be affected by a blast...but fallout will be an issue. IF we survive the initial raid, and no one gets sick...we'll be okay. HOWEVER...if we start getting rad sick...then it will fall to me to end suffering, then end my own.

Mindset is going to be a key to your survival. The ability to make decisions RIGHT NOW are going to determine whether or not you and yours make it through. If I were a single man, it would admittedly be far easier, but I am not. I am a husband and father, and it is MY job to protect my flock and no one else's. I will go to WHATEVER extreme I need to go to in order to facilitate that, even at the expense of people with whom I am aquainted.

Guts, preparedness, determination, skill....