Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Will you stay or go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Will you stay or go?

For those of you prepping for SHTF, what is your actual plan? I need no details, bue as I think about preparing for what I too think will be a self destruction of society, i wonder..."where will i go?"
My current location is northern Illinois apartment and if I'm home it is south-side suburbs in 1 story home.
I don't own a truck but i do have a 4-door mid-size vehicle that i could pack pretty well and get pretty far on a tank.
For those of you who DON'T live on a farm in the middle of no where...where are you going? Do you have a safe room? Will you built your home as a stronghold? Will you fire on anyone outside of immediate family who knows your supplies?
I'm not getting deep into prepping but i will only gather enough to fill my trunk and backseat 1/2 way, then make my decision based on events.

If i have to leave, I'm headed north into the country, North Dakota, South Dakota etc...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

My family will go nowhere unless staying home is more dangerous than venturing out. That said, I have multiple bug-out locations - all in different locations - stocked.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am the second youngest in the house so I don't have the biggest say but guns and ammo are my responsibility so I know the plan stay as long as its safe which wont be long I live in a mostly black poorer neighborhood and when people start rioting or looting people join in fast then load the 2 or 3 suvs and get on the rode north to a dear hunting and fishing club I belong 2 its my best bet because iv been going there for over 14 years and o know the place very well also they have 2 natural springs that you can drink straight out of so water and food become easier also its southern mi. Norther oh. So corn grows even when its not planted. Mostly to get out of the city im relying on that iv got people out gunned.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
My family will go nowhere unless staying home is more dangerous than venturing out. That said, I have multiple bug-out locations - all in different locations - stocked.
I have to agree. If its too dangerous to stay where I am currently at then I packing up and hitting the road. I got at least 10 safe places I could head too, all varying from 5 minutes away to 960 miles away.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't have another location all stocked up and all my stuff is here so I will have to stay and hope for the best.

(hope the SHTF never happens but collecting stuff in case)

OC

"magbum"

Old 10-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 36

i'll be going about an hour and a half away. grandparents and uncle live out in the boonies. but we wont leave unless i feel that it isnt safe to stay where we are.

Remington 700P - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223

Old 10-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #7

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My E&E location is 2 hours south of me, with 3 different routes mapped, planned, and rehearsed.

Bug out has been rehearsed, every time we go to grandma's house we pull a rehearsal, and only stop short of actually loading the bulk of it in the truck.

My egress route options are the Interstate, the state highway, and back roads. I also have different detours planned and mapped, for instance, if I make it a ways on the interstate, and run into a blockage of some sort, I have plans for detours to move onto one of the other routes.

In my particular situation, staying home would be a bit dangerous, not too bad but still a bit dangerous. And since I figure that traveling to my bug out location will be the most dangerous, it's the part that I have planned for the most.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There was once a time when I felt bugging-out was the way to go and to try and make it back to middle America where we would be safe with family and friends.

Now that we live in S. Florida where there is basically only one Interstate that we can use for bugging out by vehicle, bugging-in makes much more sense. The highways will be a complete & total mess and will quickly become very dangerous places to be. Going somewhere on foot will be impossible, we've got about 1,300 miles to cover to be safe, so that isn't going to happen. Roving bands of two-legged predators who will kill you to get your supplies and trigger-happy landowners who will kill you simply for existing would make traversing every mile a very difficult process.

Yes, staying in-place with our supplies of food, water, weapons and ammunition will be the wise thing for us to do even if it isn't the most desireable. Unless you have access to a safe location within one tank of gasoline and can quickly get there by using the back roads, you'll also be wise to just stay at home and hunker-down as we say here in Florida.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Now that we live in S. Florida where there is basically only one Interstate that we can use for bugging out by vehicle, bugging-in makes much more sense.
I am in the same situation you are. I've been itching to move to the Midwest to a place with a good amount of land bordering a national forest, because one tank of gas will just get you marooned on the highway trying to get out of Florida. My current plan is to bug in with enough ammo and food to outlive most of the bad guys. I have a fresh water lake two blocks up. I can bike to the ocean to fish once the lake and the canned goods start to get thin. That's the best I can do with S. Florida I think.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I will manned the Alamo! Politicians and Zombies BEWARE!!