Wilderness Shelter?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Wilderness Shelter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3245

Default Wilderness Shelter?

The fire thread made me realize that I've never seen that much mentioned about survival shelter. So I was just curios as to what some different thoughts were on the best wilderness shelters?

As a kid I could put together a lean to (sp?) really quick using a large bent over sapling in a strategic location. I would then add more saplings to it to close off one end and then weave in branches. It wasn't much but it would keep the rain off on a cold day.

So what are some other options, besides a tent?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #2

Liked 4536 Times on 2259 Posts
Likes Given: 1020

I like to dig into the side of a snow bank and then weave a roof out of pine. I made a good one last winter, it had shelves carved out of the snow and everything.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9516 Times on 4094 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

The bent sapling lean-to works. For a bit more room, find a large tree that has fallen, preferably pulling roots up- the main trunk serves to support your lean-to. Rootball acts as a wind block.

You do not want too large of a shelter- smaller means warmer. You can make a small A frame shelter that works better than a lean-to. Dry weather but cold- rake up all the dry leaves you can get, and burrow into the pile.

However, my preferred emergency shelter is a Winnebago.....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.