Wild Edible Plants... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Wild Edible Plants...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RochelleHill View Post
Can any of you more senior members please help me out? A week ago I posted a reply in this thread that had links to four articles on foraging from Backwoods Home magazine.

I got a message saying the post would appear only after an admin had looked at it. I'm guessing that's because it had links in it, since I had already made some other posts with no problems.

When the post didn't show up after five or six days, I reposted it (I happened to have saved it because I was having computer problems that first day). But I got the same message and there's still no post two days later. I sent email to the webmaster, but no reply yet.

Help! Is there any way I can post those links without getting in trouble or having my post be lost? What am I doing wrong, please?

Roxie

Don't feel too bad - I sent a question to the Administrator almost 4 weeks ago and haven't received an answer...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #12

are there any books on the subject that you know of?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #13

there are several, go to your local bookstore in the hiking/outdoors section, i found that the "my side of the mountain" series rven though fiction, has some great info on wild foods and how to prepare it

Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3488 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sorry Rochelle, it was flagged, presumably, because you are a new member and posting links. Your post should be okay now. I think.

JD

Old 04-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #15

Default re-open thread

Does anyone know of a book, pamplet, or other printed material specific to survival in a specific region? Mostly what I find is general to a geographic area and non-specific. I am interested in western Texas Hill country to Edwards Plateau and including northeastern Chihuahua desert. I know that with alot of googling and research that I can find my own, then, what is the use of this forum? There are a lot of really smart people willing to help on this site. Soon, we may all be called to walk or talk, I want to walk.

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #16

Ya know, you have to be pretty careful. When I was younger, I got into the forage mode, and picked a bunch of fidle heads. Fried them up and we had a feast! only later on did I read onlline that there are other species that look just like fidle heads, but are poisonous!

Same with mushrooms. My dad picked them routinely, and I would go along, but never felt safe enough to do it on my own. Lots of poisonous ones out there too.

I would say, if you are serious, to take a course with a qualified biologist on foraging for wild food! A book...you are placing your life in the hands of the author, who just might be a jamoke!

I once read one book that said "all puff balls are non-poisonous". Later, I read another book detailing the differrent and many poisonous puff balls!

And ONLY pick what you know! Do not take ANY chances. Big bunch of mushrooms that are a little unfamilair to you....leave them for the critters!

Last edited by Spanz; 04-25-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4564 Times on 2521 Posts
Likes Given: 23101

There is no nutritional value in mushrooms period,don't bother with them,it's not worth it.
I still stand by taste-testing.Your not makeing a meal out of anything yet,only a little taste to see if it's ok . Most people thrown into a crisis scenerio,may not have a choice. This is a safe way to prolong health in an
intelligent fashion.
In my youth,I spent many years on extended back woods trips( some over three months), all over North America . I've read many books and articles on the subject,one imparticular written by a royal Canadian mounty,I think his name was Townsend,great book.
I have tested many of these methods and this is one of the best and safest ways to stay alive.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #18

Liked 396 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default eatin weeds

had fixed the kids dandilion flowers just last night they et em up no left overs, the greens is good too when selected well.
Dandilion wine...........???
check with the local county extension agent they have allot on just this subject.
Honey products
Fruit leather
Mead!
Spring time -Diamond Willow leaf shoots a 1/2 cup them = 2 oranges in vitamin C

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 07-08-2009 at 03:10 AM.