Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Wild Edible Plants...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wild Edible Plants...

There are many, many wild plants that would supply most of your vitamin and mineral needs. Of course, depending on the amount of disaster and famine, you may want to grow your own food. But it would be quite a lot easier to gather wild vegetables- if you knew what was poisonous and what was packed full of nutrition, and what was locally available. Nearly everybody in this country learned what a dandelion was before they could tie their shoes. But hardly any of us know that it is more nutritious than spinach. The whole plant is useful. Dandelion leaves, stems and flowers can be added to salad or boiled as a cooked vegetable. The flowers can be dipped in batter and fried to make fritters. The roots can be dried and ground to make tea/coffee, a favorite of mine. Dandelion wine can also be made, though I have yet to do this. The leaves are best in salad when picked young and small, and from the inner shoots, near the stem of the flower. The larger, outer leaves can be boiled into cooked vegetable, wonderful with salt and pepper.
Violets are excellent food sources as well. The leaves, flowers and stems can be added to salads. I prefer violet leaves over dandelion because they are bland, and greeny- tasting. Dandelions are a bit bitter, but both are invaluable nutritionally, which make taste useless when you are starving for vitamins and minerals.
Prickly pear is another favorite of mine. The fruit tastes like a mix of strawberries and kewis. Use gloves and a potato peeler to get the skin off or boil them for a while. The pads can be fried or boiled too.
Just a few suggestions. There are many, many, many wild edible plants and trees that can supply huge amounts of dietary nutrition, if you only know which ones, and which parts to use.
Cattails, ferns and acorns are edible too...

Last edited by wild_survival; 05-30-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #2

Thank you for posting that, and for the reminder as well! I just filled my truck's gas tank up - $65.00! I drove away from the station wondering to myself just how much of this my neighbors and I can take before our whole frigg 'in local economy collapses; and we, all, begin to eat off the front lawn?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Actually, growing up we had dandelion greens all the time. Mom made "greens 'n beans" with them instead of escarole. They're a little bitter, but the taste is really good.

Didn't know about the flowers or roots, though. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1378 Posts
Likes Given: 14837

If in a truly survival mode,even with nothing but commonsence,taste test.For short term survival ( 30 days )I,ve learned that most anything anywhere can be test tasted to provide life giveing nutrition and health.To stay heathy,you need the following--water,depending upon activity-geography would determine how much--or where to get it,--vitamin C ,it can be easily found in great abundance easily,the immature needles of most common pine trees,I have boiled these young needles into tea,tastes a bit like gin. fat, to retard auto-caniblism, the human body requires a certain amount of fat,a man can eat nothing but lean meats and die within 3 weeks,fats can be easily obtained,-insect-grubs,( thats right,the slimmy snail-like things that live under decaying logs),fish is also a good sorce,also in a salt-water ridden topography fresh water can be obtained from these same raw fish.lastly-the human body requires fiber,easily obtained from most any leafy or root plants plus infinet other minerals and vitamins.TASTE TEST.when un-sure,try a little taste-wait an hour or two,if ther are no ill effects, it,s eatable,AVOID MUSHROOMS, there is no nutritional value in mushrooms so it,s not worth the risk.Should you feel adverse effects from a taste test,burn into charcol whatever it is that you ate.It is only a taste so it should not incapasitate, only short term discomfort.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #5

Last edited by FALPhil; 07-22-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Rethough my post.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #6

Great thread. Please keep the info coming.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Someone bought a jar of Dandelion Wine to a primitive shoot years ago. It was crystal clear and didn't taste too good, but oh my god...I'm glad he waited until AFTER the shoot to break it out.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #8

Default Wild Edible Plants

A small sample from my favorite source for all information rural, edible & preparedness-oriented, Backwoods Home magazine:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/cywin47.html
"You Can Become a Hardcore Forager"

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gabris88.html
"Wonderful Wilderness Wines"

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/andal76.html
"For Health and Comfort Try Wild Herbal Teas"

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/winter101.html
"The Enchanting Chanterelle" (foraging for mushrooms)

There's lots more. Their columnist Jackie Clay also did a three-part series on wild-food foraging a few years back. But I don't think those articles are online.

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-21-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Double post

Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #9

Can any of you more senior members please help me out? A week ago I posted a reply in this thread that had links to four articles on foraging from Backwoods Home magazine.

I got a message saying the post would appear only after an admin had looked at it. I'm guessing that's because it had links in it, since I had already made some other posts with no problems.

When the post didn't show up after five or six days, I reposted it (I happened to have saved it because I was having computer problems that first day). But I got the same message and there's still no post two days later. I sent email to the webmaster, but no reply yet.

Help! Is there any way I can post those links without getting in trouble or having my post be lost? What am I doing wrong, please?

Roxie

Old 08-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #10

I'm going to guess and say to give administration a chance to get to know you better.

BHM is an old fashioned website with incredibly antiquated software. The subjects they frequently touch on are, however, frequently excellent!

If you're a Massad Ayoob fan, he's a regular contributor over there.