Who's Ready For A Garden? - Page 77
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Who's Ready For A Garden?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 05:12 AM   #761
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2257 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 5316

There's an old British saying when planting seeds... "One for the rook, one for the crow, one to rot, and one to grow". In other words always plant extra just in case, but I agree it sure is tough thinning them out.

I've been itching to get my peppers and tomatoes out that I started, but it's looking like a good thing I didn't. They're calling for frost Saturday night.

I guess my procrastination has paid off yet again!

Old 04-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #762
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1943 Times on 1150 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

If I had a garden I would turn it in to a pistol range.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 04-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #763
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1623 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 2478

After weeks of practically no rain, last night's storm dropped 1".

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 04-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #764
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Spent some time yesterday browsing around the Sand Springs Herb Festival. Brought home some herbs, some pepper plants (since my pepper seeds didn't germinate very well in the greenouse), an elderberry bush, three large tomato plants with blooms already, and some other stuff. Got home and set out the tomatoes, then this morning set out a few of my small tomato plants from the greenhouse. Got them mulched and caged just as the first raindrops started falling.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.
People Like This 
Old 04-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #765
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3955 Times on 2570 Posts

I need to get my soil tested. The last several years my root crops have grown slow and production just isn't there. What carrots I do get have no flavor, they are almost bitter. Turnips and radishes are woody and almost inedible.

I've always had good soil, its dark and loamy, it tills up real nice. I use my own compost to replenish the soil, buts its still lacking. I'm thinking I need lime, should I guess or quit being so tight and get my soil tested?
Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #766
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You can get a soil testing kit for not much money that will test for ph and nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus (N-P-K).

Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #767
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3955 Times on 2570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
You can get a soil testing kit for not much money that will test for ph and nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus (N-P-K).
I'll have to find one then, as I'm a diy type guy anyway. As of yesterday, garden is tilled and ready.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #768
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2257 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 5316

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I need to get my soil tested. The last several years my root crops have grown slow and production just isn't there. What carrots I do get have no flavor, they are almost bitter. Turnips and radishes are woody and almost inedible.

I've always had good soil, its dark and loamy, it tills up real nice. I use my own compost to replenish the soil, buts its still lacking. I'm thinking I need lime, should I guess or quit being so tight and get my soil tested?
In my area all you need to know is 10-10-10. I'm trying to do the composting thing and get away from chemical fertilizers, but it's hard to do. Let me rephrase that, it's tough finding the extra time to do it. It's hard enough to find time for the garden to begin with and it's so easy to just add fertilizer. Oh well, that's something else to put on the to do list.

You can take a soil sample to local extension office and they will do the test and tell you exactly what you need.