Who's Ready For A Garden? - Page 75
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Who's Ready For A Garden?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #741
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2227 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich1377usmc View Post
Paddie Pan Squash likes the heat
Interesting. So how do they taste?

Old 07-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #742

Liked 191 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Just like regular squash. We either bread & fry or stew with onions , yum yum
TLuker Likes This 
Old 08-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #743

Liked 157 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Interesting gardening year. First there was too much rain and now not enough. All the veggies are doing good but the blueberries were kind of small this year. I was buying these sweet peppers at the grocery store and decided to save some seeds to try growing them. In the store they are bagged and there red, orange and yellow but the orange ones had most of the seeds. Started picking them a week ago and there great roasted on the grill.
File Type: jpg P8120001.jpg (40.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #744
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Great looking peppers Jimski!

My peppers did ok this year, but that's about it. It got to dry and hot to quick.

I'm trying to talk myself into planting some fall crops now but I might pass on that? It's been a really busy year and I've still got to many other irons in the fire.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #745

Liked 1466 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 456

My tomatoes started great and then it was too hot and dry for a week and they started to wilt even though I was watering every evening. Now with a few days of partial shade and cooler temps and rain, they are doing great again.

From about 5 plants I would say I have enough tomatoes to meet the family usage level for another month or so and that's just from what I have already picked! There's plenty more still growing.

The onions turned out great too. I think I will expand my garden next year and invest in a simple automatic watering solution.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:30 AM   #746
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's that time again! I just finished tilling up my garden spot and next week I'll be planting. Each year I've made the garden a little bigger and this year I doubled the size of it. I'm also planning a spring/summer crop and then a fall crop. For the summer crop I'm doing mostly stuff for eating fresh, and for the fall garden I want to have more stuff for storing over the winter. Basically I'm trying to balance everything out.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:54 AM   #747

Liked 48 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've got a small (20x20) spot I throw a few things in. Generally 2 rows of pole beans (of which I end up with way too many), 3 rows of beets (mom's caregiver is old world Polish and flips when I bring over a couple bushel baskets for her), maybe 4 tomato plants, 4 bell pepper plants, a row of cucumbers along a small wire fence (same problem with these as the beans) and a couple rows of carrots. If I have a corner open I'll toss in some radishes for good measure. My problem is really that I'm out of state during the last 2 weeks of July and the first 2 weeks of August. Nobody is willing to tend to the garden like it needs to tended to while I'm gone, even if they're allowed to take all they harvest.
Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:34 AM   #748
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1531 Times on 930 Posts
Likes Given: 2410

I put 20# of red, white and Yukon Gold potatoes in the ground several weeks ago, and they are growing well now. Also a couple hundred onion sets, and some radishes. My greenhouse has 3 flats of tomato, pepper and herb seedlings up and growing.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:56 AM   #749

Liked 48 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I do miss living in south Texas with the super long growing season. It snowed today in NE Illinois.
Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:16 AM   #750
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye59 View Post
I've got a small (20x20) spot I throw a few things in. Generally 2 rows of pole beans (of which I end up with way too many), 3 rows of beets (mom's caregiver is old world Polish and flips when I bring over a couple bushel baskets for her), maybe 4 tomato plants, 4 bell pepper plants, a row of cucumbers along a small wire fence (same problem with these as the beans) and a couple rows of carrots. If I have a corner open I'll toss in some radishes for good measure. My problem is really that I'm out of state during the last 2 weeks of July and the first 2 weeks of August. Nobody is willing to tend to the garden like it needs to tended to while I'm gone, even if they're allowed to take all they harvest.
That's similar to what I've been doing but now I'm trying to spread things out. For example I'll do a few carrots now so I'll have just enough baby carrots for the summer, but then I'll plant a lot more in July so that I'll have a nice crop in the fall for storing. Carrots are suppose to store well and that should get me through the winter and early spring. At least that's the plan anyway. I've never tried storing carrots or planting them that late so I'll just have to see how this works out?