Who's Ready For A Garden? - Page 65
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Who's Ready For A Garden?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #641
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2662 Times on 1734 Posts

Try turnips and radishes if it is warm enough to sprout the seeds.

Feral cat waterboarder

TLuker Likes This 
Old 02-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #642
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 591 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 3030

I planted some seeds a little over a couple of weeks ago to grow indoors till I got the ground tilled. With the weather so unusually warm and so much sun my corn stalks were over 6 inches tall in little over 2 weeks when I had to transplant most of them into some pots or anything else I had. I decided to buy some larger peat pots to plant most of the seedlings in to resume growing them. I ended up with around 9 to 11 tomato plants starting in the 4 peat pots. For the corn I used some of last years ears that we had let dry out then put into zip lock bags. about 85% of the seeds took off. These were heirloom seeds when I got them. So should be good to go. I guess after I build a small section of fence next to the house in the next few days I will then till the back yard up next week. and till in some soil amendments. I am planting some cantaloupes this year and try some pole Peas. and a couple of other things

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

TLuker Likes This 
Old 02-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #643
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7486 Times on 3817 Posts
Likes Given: 8374

Not thinking of gardens till I can see the ground again!

Old 02-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #644
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9030 Times on 5247 Posts
Likes Given: 11921

I've been slowly working on mine. I am in a new rental this year- moved in last July and started some tomatoes really late. They didn't do too well with the late start and my soil was too hot. This year I am mostly going to be growing in containers just in case I am moving again so I can take them with me.

I (finally) got my chestnut seedlings from my wife- I imagine that many of them will not survive for one reason or another, but I am going to give them a go. I have them bare-rooted right now covered in soil. A couple of them I have in pots and hope to keep them going there far at least another year. We'll see what happens there.

Got a Kiwi that I am putting in a pot too. Might get some fruit out of it but that is being optimistic. I got a self-pollinator so I won't have to deal with two plants.

I am looking for some seed to start for heirloom tomatoes. Trying to do everything on the cheap this year due to finances being what they are. I do have some decent garden space where I can plant in the ground, or maybe use containers (I have several hundred nursery pots that I can use). Might do some corn too. Definitely gotta do lemon cuke.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2015, 04:26 AM   #645
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1721 Times on 1115 Posts
Likes Given: 3799

Earlier this week I went through my seeds to see what I did and didn't have for this summer. Then I went ahead and ordered the few things I needed. So those seeds arriving is giving me something to look forward to.

And Saturday I'll go ahead and put some cabbage, broccoli, and brussels sprouts in starter trays. It's snowing here right now and cold but I'm guessing it will be warm enough for cool season stuff to go in the ground in a couple of weeks!

Old 02-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #646

Liked 2662 Times on 1734 Posts

The ice fishermen are reporting 14 inches of ice on ponds. Maybe I'll just skip spring crops.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #647
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1721 Times on 1115 Posts
Likes Given: 3799

Today is our first really nice day this year and that finally got me motivated. I got a few broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, peppers, and tomato seeds started today. I should of had the cool season stuff started a few weeks ago but I procrastinated. I've been recouping from sinus surgery over the last 2 weeks and I knew I needed to get that stuff started before sinus surgery but it didn't happen. Hopefully we'll have a mild beginning to summer and I'll get a little bit from it. If not there is always the fall crop to look forward to!

With the seeds started it's now official. I'll have to get my butt in gear and get the garden tilled up and ready for planting in about 4 weeks! Honestly, I can't wait. I can already see myself picking dinner from the garden once again.