Who's Ready For A Garden? - Page 64
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Who's Ready For A Garden?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #631
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 592 Times on 333 Posts

We have never really done well with fall crops. Fighting grass is almost an impossible task. It always takes over before the seeds germinate. This is our second try this year. Not much but it will do for now. It's Basil, dill, kale, beets, chard, snow peas, cilantro, and kohlrabi. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1414347792.310326.jpg

Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #632
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1508 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I tried something new this year: Chinese red meat radishes. It pretty much sums it up to say its half red radish and half turnip. It has a very mild radish flavor with a stronger sweeter turnip taste.

That's if you peel them carefully. Leave the skin on and the horseradish flavor will embarassingly dump any remaining mucous from you sinus membranes.
Now that looks interesting!

Old 10-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #633
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1508 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
We have never really done well with fall crops. Fighting grass is almost an impossible task. It always takes over before the seeds germinate. This is our second try this year. Not much but it will do for now. It's Basil, dill, kale, beets, chard, snow peas, cilantro, and kohlrabi. Attachment 152117
You're definitely doing better than I usually do with fall crops. I've never been able to do much with fall crops other than a salad patch (mustard greens and turnip greens). I'm with primer1 all the way on fall turnips being better than spring.

I've almost filled my freezer with deer and I'm starting to think about the spring already. My big garden projects for this year are going to be water barrels to catch run off for irrigation, compost, and mulch. I'm going to try compost so I can stay away from fertilizer and I want to use it to try control my soil consistency better. I want to really experiment with mulch for keeping the ground moist and for keeping down the weeds and grass.

I'm going to have to get started with those water barrels pretty soon. I figure it will take a couple of weeks of experimenting to really get them dialed in and the holidays are just around the corner. Once the holidays hit it's seems like a blink of the eye before it's time to start tilling for spring.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #634
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7815 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9842

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
My fall crop of turnips did well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopowerbmx View Post
We have never really done well with fall crops. Fighting grass is almost an impossible task. It always takes over before the seeds germinate. This is our second try this year. Not much but it will do for now. It's Basil, dill, kale, beets, chard, snow peas, cilantro, and kohlrabi. Attachment 152117
I love eating turnips and kohlrabi raw. Peel and eat. YUM!!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #635
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
You're definitely doing better than I usually do with fall crops. I've never been able to do much with fall crops other than a salad patch (mustard greens and turnip greens). I'm with primer1 all the way on fall turnips being better than spring.

I've almost filled my freezer with deer and I'm starting to think about the spring already. My big garden projects for this year are going to be water barrels to catch run off for irrigation, compost, and mulch. I'm going to try compost so I can stay away from fertilizer and I want to use it to try control my soil consistency better. I want to really experiment with mulch for keeping the ground moist and for keeping down the weeds and grass.

I'm going to have to get started with those water barrels pretty soon. I figure it will take a couple of weeks of experimenting to really get them dialed in and the holidays are just around the corner. Once the holidays hit it's seems like a blink of the eye before it's time to start tilling for spring.

I am just champing at the bit to get some major garden improvements in, but unfortunately in the rental I live in I don't expect I will be there for too very long. But I might do it anyhow just because. I already started a compost system and have about 5 yards of manure composting too. I am wanting to do some compost tea as well. Then there is the tree nursery I have been planning. Talked to a guy who has some land a little east of here who wants to get some chestnut trees planted. He said I can use his land and grow as many as I want if I plant a couple dozen for him.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.